Super Contributor

Usually around this time of year someone posts this subject.  I have never laughed so hard reading things people have been given, sometimes they are sad and make you want to cry.

What is your worst Christmas gift ever?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Worst Christmas gift ever

A diet cookbook

Respected Contributor

I don't know if I would call this gift a bad Christmas gift but it was definitely unusual.

I was working for a traditional/holistic veterinarian and she had a few clients who completely believed in the healing powers of crystals.  While I think some of the crystals are beautiful to look at I don't believe they have powers.  

One year a client gave me a beautiful crystal on a chain and really insisted that it would give me peace and happiness if I wore it constantly.  It was uncomfortable to wear around my neck but I never knew when she might pop into the clinic so I wore that necklace everyday.  I didn't want to offend her and I really appreciated that she thought of me but I was so happy when she moved out of state and I could put that crystal away in my jewelry box.  

I'll never know if it gave me peace but I do know I felt happiness when I could remove it from my neck.

Honored Contributor

I would say those stupid Chia Chia products. I hate them. I don't want any. Won't have to worry about that anymore. LOL!!!

My MIL made me something one year that looked like it was something my grandmother would wear. I was early 30's? Needless to say you can probably guess what happened to it. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

A funnel cake kit.  It involved a plastic funnel, funnel cake mix, and directions involving A LOT of hot oil on the stove.  Oh no no no no no, not happening in my kitchen.

Given to me by a relative; I highly suspect it was a regift.  I regifted it right into the trash.  I say regifted because most of the gifts I received from this relative were clearly either regifts (card from previous year left in the box) or freebies (because I know a freebie when I see one).

Nothing wrong with giving freebies, but how many logo mugs can one person use? 

Here's where it gets funny/embarrassing/uncomfortable (for me).  I was getting my haircut after Christmas and was telling my stylist the funnel cake story, mainly that I couldn't believe anyone would give me a gift involving a large quantity of hot oil (family knows the kitchen isn't my area of expertise).  FF to New Year's Eve, same family members, and I can't remember exactly what I said (unrelated to said gift), but my niece's husband (they were the gift givers) said something to the effect of at least it didn't involve any hot oil, which makes me think he may have been at the salon that day.  Ooops, I was very embarrassed but gave him a blank look and moved on.

Honored Contributor

It did not take many Christmases to learn that my husband is THE worst at buying gifts!  

In taking the horrible gifts back, I realized that whatever was on display just inside the door was that years gift; flannel nightgowns, cheap perfume, bubble bath in a plastic bottle, along with some type of candy.   He always waited until Christmas Eve, and if he spent 10 minutes in the store, 8 of them were spent checking out!   

Honored Contributor

I received a home made ornament from a young attorney I worked with.  Talk about cheap.  Even a $10 card for Starbucks would have been better.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

This is terrible to say, but it was probably from my mother.  Nothing intentional, but I don't think we've ever been on the same wavelength.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

a tie made from peacock feathers. it is hideous.

it was originally given to my DH by one of his brothers about 30 years ago, as a joke at Christmas. the following Christmas it was re-gifted back to that brother , and since that time has been rotated among the 3 brothers.

edited to correct: my husband just told me it was pheasant feathers, not peacock.

still hideous. Smiley Happy

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

oh, I have had several...like a cheap stick vacuum cleaner and huge fish aquarium.

Once during a gift exchange at work, we had to write down what we would like.  My request was a pair of slippers, size 6.  I got slippers, size 8.  When I inquired why, the giver told me " no one wears a size 6.  I know you lied so I bought your correct size" ????

I gave them to my daughter..way too big for me.  That was the last year I wasted good money exchanging gifts at work.

Everyone  who knows me enough to get me a gift knows I am gluten free.  I have received cookies, cake and boxes of mixes for bread and other goodies that are not gluten free.

I've gotten some really good gifts too.  My favorite is my engagement ring I received on Christmas Eve in 1972.