Respected Contributor

Re: Worst Christmas gift ever

[ Edited ]

Before retiring from the school system, each year the staff would plan a dinner out and have some kind of present or exchange of gifts.  One year, we decided on doing 'Gag Gifts' instead of the usual gift giving.  It was probably the funniest and most fun of all the 28 years I had been going to these Christmas party dinners. 

I specifically remember one year, picking a number and going up to get the Gag gift.  When I opened it, it was a pair of plastic handcuffs that lit up, blinked red and had loud siren whistle.  Along with it was a bottle of cheap wine and a note that said...'Happy Date Night!'

The teacher next to me pulled another number and when she went to open her Gag Gift, a 28 ounce can of Fish Balls from Norway..  Apparently, the giver of the Fish Balls had relatives from Norway who visited that year and brought a case of them to their house.  Haha

'

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

Do I even want to know what fish balls are?  Smiley Surprised  

Respected Contributor

@pinkcrystal  LoL...I thought the same as did everyone else at the party, but in reality they were merely fish cakes made into ball shape that are customary in that country.  The funny thing about it was the can didn't show a picture of it.  All it said in BIG letters across the label was; FISH BALLS

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I think some very passive-aggressive people use Christmas gifts as a way to show their hatred for the recipient. I recall a man on our faculty who was selling some vitamin-type things as a second job and he put two bottles of the weight-loss pills in a colleague’s office mailbox....so everyone could see it...with a note saying he was giving them to her for free since he knew how badly she needed to lose weight.
Honored Contributor

Who gives cake mix as a gift?☹️
Honored Contributor

From students, I treasure the gifts the students made themselves...I still have some ornaments on my tree that were made by students I had 25 years ago. That’s when I taught elementary school. When I taught junior high it got weird.
Honored Contributor

My ex MIL gave me mudflaps for my car with my husbands name on them and silhouettes of a horse. I had a minivan at the time.
No one would ever believe the gifts she gave me every Christmas. Random, broken, or bizarre. She always gave her son (DH at the time) a big check. One year she wrapped up a single bag of microwave popcorn with a pair of clip-on earrings with two stones missing out of one of them. Never figured out the connection between earrings and popcorn.
Honored Contributor

Actually, it turned out to be hysterical and we bring it up every Christmas for the past 20 or so years.  "Remember the time Dad bought you ....."  hahahahahaha.

I used to spend Christmas (and summer vacations) down with my parents - they moved to WV to get away from the hustle and bustle of NY and be near my brother and his family. 

They were elderly and I would do a twice a year major cleaning for them.  My mother refused to let a "stranger" clean her house, and she could do regular housework - tough stuff like changing curtains, windows, carpet clearnng, etc. - not so much.

Anyway - the second or third year they were down there - my father gave me a carpet cleaner - one of those things that you use to clean rugs.  My Mom and Bror had funny looks on their faces when Dad handed me this big heavy box.

Sitting here thinking about it now - I'm still laughing!  

Super Contributor

LOL!