Esteemed Contributor

Re: Worst Christmas gift ever

Mother in law. She has a reputation for giving gifts she finds on discount tables at department stores; so discounted you can't return or exchange. MIL doesn't consider the recipient. She loves orange and has green eyes and olive skin. I can't wear orange with my light blue/gray eyes and hint of auburn hair color. She's tall, thin and flat chested. I'm petite and busty. She always bought me things that would look good on her. The last gift she bought me was a size small, orange sweater. I opened the gift, smiled and put it under my chair. Went home without it. Next day MIL called my husband and said I left my gift. While she was on the phone I said, tell her to keep it. It's her color and size. Doesn't work for me. After that year I received a gift certificate from Macy's. Score!      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, not Christmas, but for 10th birthday dad bought me a 45 rpm record. Fats Domino - Your Feet's Too Big. I didn't have big feet. I asked for a record by dreamy Johnny Crawford (Mousketeer and Mark McCain on Rifleman) Dad couldn't find my record so he bought a Fats Domino record. Dad put the record on the player. I cried and ran to my room. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

One year while I was in high school, my sister gave me a pair of steer horns. Not sure where that idea came from!

Honored Contributor

We like to go to the local Home & Garden shows.  One year there was this green rubber frog that would ribbit whenever it sensed motion.  I thought it was cute.  Well, that is what my husband gave me for Christmas when I was expecting a slide for my slide necklace.  "You said you liked it when we saw it at the Home show."  Ever since then we give each other lists.  

When I was a kid I cried because I wanted these big furry slippers and my Grandmother gave me super cheap plastic (or whatever that cheap material was) slippers that has some sort of fur around the top.

I hate to say it, but I have always been very picky about things.  I would rather get nothing than to pick something out and get a cheap alternative. Been that way all my life, and I didn't come from money by any stretch of the imagination.  I just have more of an appreciaton for quality products than my Mother did.  I think my Dad was kinda picky that way too.  I know he waited until he could afford a really nice Troy Bilt tiller rather than get something cheap.

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

When I was little, i was a big Beatles fan (stilll am).   My aunt and uncle got me a Dave Clark Five album, and the DC5 were their rivals.  You could not like both! lol  Funny how I still remember how I couldn't believe they didn't realize that.  I was about 7 years old.

I remember when it became either The Beatles or The Monkees.  We were all on one side or the other.   Nothing against the Beatles but, at that time, I was on The Monkees team.  Smiley Very Happy   Hey Hey!

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@CritterKeeper 

One boyfriend gave me a 25 pound holstein calf that they were going to kill. He thought it was perfect since he did not have a gift for me on Christmas Eve. I would have preferred him not to make a grand entrance with it during the Christmas Eve service to which some women were about to faint. It should have weighed 100 pounds. He was named Moo and I bottle fed him day and night. He grew up with dogs and my horse. I was laughed at when he got to be 1500 pounds and was still following me while riding my horse.  I had to relocate and could not take Moo. The boyfriend happily suggested we put him in the freezer. I decided I would rather put the boyfriend in the freezer. Moo was adopted by a farm that kept him as a pet. Everytime I visited he ran to me.

Back to my quoted [part

That boyfriedn must have shopped at the same place wendiC"s dad did because he gave a a desk pen holder made of dried cow poop. He was so proud of himself. That was the final straw.

doxie

Awwwww.....I love your story with Moo.   I'm so happy that Moo got a good home and you could also visit him.   You rock!

Heart

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

One year my husband gave me a Dustbuster. 

I will add that was the last Christmas he ever gave me a cleaning product as a gift!

@tototwo I bet that story is brought up often😄

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt 

My brother reminded me that the choir was singing "What child is this" when the boyfriend paraded down the aisle and deposited the calf at my feet. It tried to stand up and a young child asked if it was Jesus.

Moo taught me a lot. Never again would I listen to people that said it was just an animal. After not seeing me for 2 years I wasable to visit him and that big goofy steer ran across the field to me and started mouthing my hand like he did when he nursed. I got to visit him often after that.

Moo had to ride with us to horse shows and he usually stayed in the trailer. One show I was in the ring when here comes Moo in the ring. He falls in behind us. The crowd was laughing. I went through the whole performance with him trailing us. The judge pulled us out of the line up and Moo followed as we recieved our trophy. People were nervous how we were going to catch him. I told them not to worry. We left the ring and went to the trailer and I told him to load up and he jumped in the trailer.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

One year my husband gave me a Dustbuster. 

I will add that was the last Christmas he ever gave me a cleaning product as a gift!

@tototwo I bet that story is brought up often😄

@SeaMaiden 

@tototwo 

That is funny. A friend's husband gave her an iron for Christmas. She used it to grill cheese sandiches. He told her it was for his shirts. She said, "really?"  The next day he put his shirt on and it had a scorched area shaped like the iron on it. He commented about it. She told him she would iron another one. He said nevermind and started taking his shirts to the laundry.

doxie

Super Contributor

that made me LOL!