Honored Contributor

One day at work, I was heading out for my lunchtime walk and a man that I did not know said "Smile!  It may never happen!"

I looked him directly in the eye and said "How do you know that it hasn't already happened?"  That shut him up.

There I was just looking forward to my solitary walk and thinking about what I'd do after work and a stranger comes out with that?  It always annoyed me, whoever said it!  I'm supposed to go around grinning like a fool all the time?

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

"Everybody's voice is important and should be heard." This is complete nonsense!!!!!! Just because someone has a voice, it does not naturally follow that whatever is said should be considered important nor should it necessarily be respected. 

Isn't that the usually unspoken truth, @Goldengate8361 

@suzyQ3 , The tricky part is who decides ?

The listener, @QVCkitty1, I definitely could give you many examples of speech that I neither consider important (meaning helpful to anyone) nor respectable.

@suzyQ3 , You're right, I was thinking in the broader sense .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

"Learn to say no."  In my experience people say no too often.  There are plenty of excuses to say no.  I think saying YES can lead to good things if you use your good judgement and are willing to take a risk.  Sometimes you have to say no, but sometimes you should say yes!

Esteemed Contributor

Your loved one is in a better place. 

Honored Contributor

Kill them with kindness!  What bull!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor
Almost all of these but the ones that really bother me most are “God doesn’t give us more than we can handle” (Grrrrrrrr).......He/she is in a better place now.......I love ME some (insert a word)
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
I just realized my third example isn’t really advice. Lol
Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Your loved one is in a better place. 

I hate it when someone says this and I always think "No, s(he) isn't!"

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

One day at work, I was heading out for my lunchtime walk and a man that I did not know said "Smile!  It may never happen!"

I looked him directly in the eye and said "HoHe was probably hitting on youw do you know that it hasn't already happened?"  That shut him up.

There I was just looking forward to my solitary walk and thinking about what I'd do after work and a stranger comes out with that?  It always annoyed me, whoever said it!  I'm supposed to go around grinning like a fool all the time?

@Venezia  He was probably trying to hit on you. I bet he never used that line ever again!

Honored Contributor

@decaf - He may've been, but it's something others say where I am.  If you're not smiling manically they assume you're worrying needlessly about "something that may never happen".