Honored Contributor

Re: World's Greatest Cat Painting Sells For $826,000

@hennypenny wrote:

For those of you who are debating loving another pet. Just think of the love you will be giving to an animal now confined to a cage and waitng hopefully for a forever home. 

You are so right, henny.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

BTW, there's a larger photo of the painting on the SF link, if anyone would like to see more detail.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/World-s-greatest-cat-painting-sold-6610264.php#photo-8903298

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

this is a beautiful painting, but it probably costs her $826.000 in food, kitty litter, vet bills, etc. and the servants help just to take care of 300 kitties,  i give her a lot of credit!  

Honored Contributor

I bet Kate Birdsall Johnson didn't wear a lot of black.

I wonder at what point in history vets started spaying and neutering pets?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Love it!  I'd like to have a framed print, or even a poster.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Weighing in with 5 cats, three are Katrina Survivors.

+

Three huge dogs, one a huge BLACK (ahem) hound, and two rowdy Labbies.

My home is a circus and I wouldn't have it any other way !

For everyone who has loved and lost an animal, the love and the pain of loss are both exquisite, those of us who have known that love have been blessed.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I've never quite understood why people talk about how they can't emotionally cope with losing another pet.   I've only adopted older dogs so have lived with a lot of loss and cried a lot of tears.  The bond with older pets is the same as if you had them since they were young.

I would rather be the one who cries after I've given them a good home than to cry if I know they didn't have any home at all.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I saw this tonight on  KPIX news.  Beautiful painting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

I've never quite understood why people talk about how they can't emotionally cope with losing another pet.   I've only adopted older dogs so have lived with a lot of loss and cried a lot of tears.  The bond with older pets is the same as if you had them since they were young.

I would rather be the one who cries after I've given them a good home than to cry if I know they didn't have any home at all.

@GingerPeach, I am pretty sure that reference includes me about not coping with losing another pet..  Yes I am on the fence about adopting another animal because it does hurt and that's just how I am... It's been almost two years since we lost Charley Bear and it hurts just as bad to this day.  I am very sure I am not alone in my feelings, some people are much stronger, and I used to be, but at my age, well I can't help how I feel..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I'll just speak to the fact that when you have other things in your life like a spouse or kids, it's probably easier to move on after losing a pet because you have other things to love.  

I'll only speak for myself but my dog was the only thing I came home to at night.  It made losing her hurt that much more and I had to call someone else to help me make the call to put her down when she absolutely needed to be.  I couldn't do it which was totally unfair to her and me and I honestly feel like I don't even deserve another animal when I couldn't do the right thing by her all by myself in the end.        

I would love to rescue an animal again and give it a loving home.  But I'm brave enough and honest enough with myself to know that I just can't trust myself to do the right thing when the end comes again for another animal.

I envy those of you that can do it and eventually move on.  I wish I could but like others have said I just didn't get the guts in that area.  Thank goodness most of the rest of you do and I am grateful every day that animals have people like you in the world.