Trusted Contributor

Re: World Championship Skating

[ Edited ]

@Pandalady    I'm not a big fan of Nancy Kerrigan but I'll tune in to see how she does. Skaters and gymnasts tend to do well on that show.

@sabra    How high up did your son get?

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I am watching the World Championship Skating in South Korea.  They are showing the pairs skating right now.  All the skaters seem to have picked beautiful music.  The current skaters are skating to "Like a Bridge over Troubled Water..."

I just recently got HD TV so I was channel surving and found this channel I had never heard of before UHD.  Everything sure looks so much better in high definition.

Hey @CLEM,

You hit 2 topics that are a couple of my top passions. First, I assume, you are referring to ice skating. If not, scratch that on. I do also love "Bridge over Troubled Water", Simon & Garfunkel version. Ice skating has been a passion since a very young boy.

You say HD tv looks so much better than the old Standard Definition. HD has twice the resolution as SD, thus the more detailed the content. Even networks have different levels of HD depending on locations, and of course their recording equipment.

Wait till you see 4k UHD television. It jumps up to 4 times better resolution than HD presents. Oh, my passion has been video, like forever. Do you mean the channel is called "UHD"? If so, who is your tv provider, Cable/DirecTV/Dish?

Glad you put this up. Very interesting to me. Skating/Music and Video! What's not to like.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

He got to the junior level but decided to stop as he was getting too old (20) - lol.  He didn't even start skating until he was 15, had a great coach, and progressed very quickly (doing triples, etc.) but there was so much competition that he realized it would be nearly impossible to ever make it to the Olympics.  After that, he started teaching (still does) and is an assistant manager of an ice rink.  I'm very proud of his accomplishments.

Trusted Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

@sandraskates@sabra  I love this conversation!  I'm not sure if either of you like Dancing with the Stars but I am looking forward to seeing Nancy Kerrigan on there this season that starts on March 20th.

It will be interesting to see how Nancy does even tho I'm not much of a fan.  I will be watching DWTS because I LOVE Erika Jayne!  Watching Simone will be good too.  Wonder how Nick (the Bachelor) will do - lol.

Trusted Contributor

@sabra wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

He got to the junior level but decided to stop as he was getting too old (20) - lol.  He didn't even start skating until he was 15, had a great coach, and progressed very quickly (doing triples, etc.) but there was so much competition that he realized it would be nearly impossible to ever make it to the Olympics.  After that, he started teaching (still does) and is an assistant manager of an ice rink.  I'm very proud of his accomplishments.

Wow @sabra   great for him and you should be very proud!
It sounds like he enjoyed his competitive time since he has transisitioned to "the business."

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@Pandalady- yes, I competed in freestyle, figures, ice dancing and on a precision team. Of course nowhere near the level of skating that you see on TV.

But that's the good thing about US Figure Skating - there are competitive levels for literally everybody. And if anyone reading this has a desire to skate, it's never too late to start.

@LilacTree- if you haven't read it Ekatarina Goodeva wrote a lovely autobiography after Sergei died. The book is called My Sergei.

She re-married 15 years ago men's Olympic champion Illia Kulik.

I think the flamboyant French skater you're thinking was the always entertaining Phillipe Candaloro.

@sandraskates

Thanks for filling in the blanks for me!  I know "Katya" loved Sergei so much and it was a long mourning period for her.  I had heard about the book.  And I knew she remarried and now that you've reminded me, I remember Kulik.  I'm so glad she was able to go on with her life and have children.  She was (and probably still is) so beautiful.

And you're right about Phillipe also.  My girls, who were still very young then used to "ooh and aah" about him all the time.  He was adorable.

So you used to skate?  Wow!! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@sabra wrote:

@Pandalady wrote:

@sandraskates@sabra  I love this conversation!  I'm not sure if either of you like Dancing with the Stars but I am looking forward to seeing Nancy Kerrigan on there this season that starts on March 20th.

It will be interesting to see how Nancy does even tho I'm not much of a fan.  I will be watching DWTS because I LOVE Erika Jayne!  Watching Simone will be good too.  Wonder how Nick (the Bachelor) will do - lol.

@sabra

There's always a reason why I can't watch DWTS or the Bachelor.  This season it's Nick for both!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Elizaveta Kulik is a competitive skater.  Her father, Ilia Kulik is with her in the Kiss and Cry area.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting the schedule, @Lesa.

Thank you for posting the video, @lulu2

Ice dancing is my favorite. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

Thank you for posting the schedule, @Lesa.

Thank you for posting the video, @lulu2

Ice dancing is my favorite. Smiley Happy

Hi @dmod nj

I love it all but lately it's been ice dancing, too.

Did you see your Jon with Willie Geist this AM on TODAY?