Occasional Contributor

Working Extra Hard Isn't Worth It

PEOPLE DON'T CARE IF YOU GO ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT YOU PROMISED, SAY RESEARCHERS

For those of you putting in 110%, taking one for the team, going above and beyond the call, or any other cliche related to hard work: Just stop it right now, because research suggests that nobody really cares. Sure, people notice and tsk accordingly when you don't do what you said you were going to, but as UC San Diego behavioral sciences prof Ayelet Gneezy finds, exceeding your promise "does not appear to be worth the effort." Or, a sBusiness Week puts it, "Nobody cares how awesome you are at your job."

Specifically, says Gneezy, "promise receivers consistently failed to recognize the additional effort required to exceed a promise." Think of it this way: If you promise to get something done in three days, people will be ticked if it takes four, but they won't care much if you get it done in two. Now exceeding expectations is a wildly different beast. That is, if you make no such promise about when something will get done but surpass the other person's hopes, they'll be absolutely thrilled. But as for promises,Time notes that "just keeping your word is good enough, (so) focus on that."

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Working Extra Hard Isn't Worth It

Sorry, I do not believe this at all. I see people put in the extra effort almost every day of the week and it absolutely is appreciated. Both in professional and personal settings. I can think of 2 people who within the last 3 weeks both get promotions that should have gone to other people JUST because they consistently put in the extra effort. One was even told that he should have lost out to 6 other people who also applied for the position, who had been with the company much longer and had much more experience in that particular area of expertise. He beat each of these 6 other people despite being disadvantaged by not being employed at this particular job as long and not even being in that field of work as long. The other applicants each had at least 3 more years working in that field. He also doesn't have the specific degree pertaining to the position he applied for (which every other applicant did) and after 3 rounds of interviews he won out and was directly told it was precisely because he puts in the extra effort.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Most people who go above and beyond don't do it for the recognition, they do it because it's what they expect of themselves.

Occasional Contributor

My experience is the more you give the more they expect while others are skirting by doing the least possible and still making the same amount. Why bother?

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/4/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Most people who go above and beyond don't do it for the recognition, they do it because it's what they expect of themselves.

I totally agree with you Buck-i-Nana. Both of the people I mentioned are just self starters and would do it if no one was even watching. It is just "in" them. I don't like to cut corners either not because of anyone else, but because I know.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

And then there sometimes are the jealous co-workers..........but, that's another story.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

i own my own business and my goal is to always exceed my customers expectations.

i'm not always successful but i never allow myself to become rude or indifferent since many of those who seemed the most unhappy will turnaround and recommend my services to others.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Respected Contributor

I often work very hard (depending on the case load) and it is always, always appreciated. My boss is so funny, yesterday she said - Oh my goodness, you shredded all those documents. God Bless You {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Of course, that was the easiest thing I did all day.

Trusted Contributor

I sometimes wonder when we work "extra" hard, put in more and longer hours, earn more money, deprive ourselves of time with family, friends and even our own selves, will we regret one day that we made those choices?

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/4/2014 madzonie said:

I sometimes wonder when we work "extra" hard, put in more and longer hours, earn more money, deprive ourselves of time with family, friends and even our own selves, will we regret one day that we made those choices?

Well, I think we need a good balance. I didn't always have that. I used to work way too much. I know I am not going to lie in my deathbed wishing I had spent more time at work. I have a good balance now.

When I am at work though, I put everything I have into it. I mean, I am there already so I might as well while I am there. LOL! Then when I am at home, I am at home.

JFK