Esteemed Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

It's difficult when someone new comes in and wants to change everything.  Is he in management?  If so, that can be tricky.  If not, just continue to do your job, be professional, and don't engage in gossip.  You never know the whole story.  Sounds like he is used to being in charge, so just being one of the team may be foreign to him.

Excellent response!!!!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I've learned to keep my mouth shut when it comes to members of the team that think they know it all.  I wonder if he was hired to bring in different ideas.  I would tell him to make a list of all his ideas to discuss after he's got the routine down.  

Honored Contributor

Maybe he was hired for the specific purpose of "shaking things up".   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting perspective.  He has done that (shaken things up).  

Off to work, and my nemesis is off today.  Good!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia. Keep in touch. I’m interested in you and how this plays out. Meanwhile enjoy a stress free weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with poster(s) who suggest you try not to engage in negative talk with cohorts about this guy. You really don't know management's intention when they allowed him into this role. I mentioned this phrase in a different post, but BE SILENT. BE SAFE. It's a wise approach to giving 'new guy' a positive 'no.' 

I love advice a psychologist (instructor) gave our class regarding workforce issues. When you get frustrated over work situations, to the point where it occupies your mind, take a moment and walk outside. While you're taking in some freh air, check the outside of the building. If your name isn't plastered on the outside of the building, accept you merely get paid to do a job and your opinion may not be as valuable as you think. Harsh reality, but it's saved me offering my unwanted opinions at work more than a few times. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Is the new guy your boss?  If he is a supervisor or manager, calm down and just go with the flow.  He's adjusting to a new job.  But if he's just a worker bee, why can't you just be an adult and take him aside and  nice say  "Bob, I've been doing this job for quite some time now and I know what I am doing, you just started so I don't need any help or suggestions from you".  You are doing what so many women in work world do.  You are taking this personally and you won't be honest and assertive.  So, the problems irritates you more and more everday.   All that personal stuff is totally irrelevant, it has nothing to do with what you say your problem is.  Don't speak for the group,  just pull him aside and speak for yourself.  

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia

My job was strictly blue collar work, probably much different than your place/business employment. Much of my 33 years with Western Electric/AT&T had to do with running machines that made telephone wires/Cables, and insulating/sheathing the wires and or cables.

It was a 24 hour 3 shift job, and our direct bosses(supervisors) changed their shifts usually every 6 months, and many new ones also rotated from jobs that had nothing to do with manufacturing the wires or cables. Maybe the plastic wall plug-ins or telephone receivers, but machines nothing even close to our hot/dirty/smelly/dangerous machines.

I had more than a few of these bosses that knew only what the Engineers Blueprint showed them about these machines, and IN THEORY, how they were SUPPOSED to operate. One job had 50 machines pretty much the same, but do you think they all cooperated and ran exactly the same? Of course not! A few of these "no nothing about machine" bosses" thought they knew better than my 10-15-20 years of running these machines.

I explained this to them, yet a few of them insisted on "their way", so I after explaining my view and extensive experience, I complied with "their way". So!!! When the production of wire ran by this dropped from over millions of feet of wire per day, down to, at best a few hundred thousand, I think you can guess what came next!

More talks/more explanations and experieced knowledge of these specific machines, from myself to these bosses. Most of them, to keep themselves out of trouble with their bosses, decided to let me run these machines my way, which produced insulated phone wires, as opposed to "their non-producing way".

I was only 1 of the 2 operators that spoke up and challenged these supervisors, but the results of my explanations and reasoning, all 25 operators were very happy with the end result. Most of them were "yes men", I never was and to this day I am the same in many aspects of my long retired life.

That's my story. Whether you can glean anything from that, beats me, but sometimes it takes someone to speak up and spare no words, or "tip toe around the rose **sh". That was/is not my style, in work or in life.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

wow, he sounds like a real looloobell.  

He sounds like the way the wind blows is his moods. They are so hard to work for, you don’t know how to handle them. The leader of the pack should have some knowledge of what they need to do to get work done.

this man probably was real crumb to work for at the business he owned, he is just trying to make sure all know he is now the leader and wants to show his authority.

so little to help you out on this.