Respected Contributor

Words of Experience For Newlyweds

Discussions about weddings and purging stuff got me to thinking... what would you do differently starting out as newlyweds if you could redo?

I remember running out to sales and buying things that I thought I would need as I set up household. Fashions change, improvements are made, things mount up in closets, etc. Wait until need arises. Don't fall for sales hype.
Respected Contributor

Re: Words of Experience For Newlyweds

Never went overboard with shopping: too busy working and getting my Masters degree.  To do over, I would not work as hard...too many unpaid overtime hours.  As a consultant later on, I would have billed at an appropriate rate vs. discounted to get started.

I also would have been more outspoken ( lol !!! ) if possible rather than a behind- the-scene manager.

Still, it wasn't that bad !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I don't think I bought much as a new bride. I had a few showers and back in 1969 people gave you practical things to help you set up your home for shower gifts, and wedding gifts. I got towels, blankets, sheets, glasses & knives,forks & spoons I still have in my camper, a set of dishes from my parents, a set of corning ware pots from his Dad, which I still have 48 years later.As our wedding gift my folks gave us a set of end tables & coffee table and my grandparents gave us lamps and 2 clocks. I still have the lamps in my bedroom. We bought a set of bedroom furniture at an auction - an estate sale. I did buy some used chairs that I had to refinish and reupholster, and I think the only thing we bought brand new was a sofa. I can remember this time like it was yesterday. I was so excited to start my adult life. New career and new family.

Honored Contributor

I would spend more time having fun together than working all of the time to get ahead...yes it paid off but to the "old me "things aren't as exciting as when I was young.

Honored Contributor

I would have made sure we bought what we thought would have been our dream home.

This was not, it was only supposed to be a starter home and here we are 38 years later...

Honored Contributor

Separate bathrooms.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

We both lived in our own before we got married, so we had some idea of what running a household was like.  Our style just kind of evolved over time. 

We traveled and spent a lot of time together just building a strong bond, really getting to know each other. 

Respected Contributor

Work hard and save, which is what we did. Never had financial problems or debt.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I would have made sure we bought what we thought would have been our dream home.

This was not, it was only supposed to be a starter home and here we are 38 years later...

I can relate to this @CelticCrafter.  We are still in our same home after 34 years and I'm at an age now where I realize I will probably never move.  I loved our house when we first got it and, to some degree, still do, but the neighborhood is going downhill and things just aren't the same.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 @CelticCrafter You are both probably financially stable because of staying in your homes all these years. My dh and I marvel constantly about how many young folks have to have the best of the best, move around, upgrade, etc, etc. Not satisfied with just a nice home~it has to be top of the line in every respect. Then they either lose their homes (divorce?) or are so deeply in debt that they cannot get out.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein