Respected Contributor

Word of the Day

[ Edited ]

I just learned a new word, which gets me all excited because when you're old it doesn't happen that frequently.

I'm sure many people on these boards will know the definition. It is a common noun and related to the acquisition and disposition of goods.

No cheating! If you know what it means, tell us and include the last place you saw one.

Feel free to guess and make us all chuckle.

The word is:      gaylord

Esteemed Contributor

Not the answer you're looking for but..........to me it's Gaylord - manufacturer of school and office furniture - and supplies.

Am I close......(wink)

Honored Contributor

Wasn't the answer given in the initial post?

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

It is a common noun and related to the acquisition and disposition of goods.

Honored Contributor

Gaylord is joyous, I think.  There was once a department store (like a big box store called Gaylord) and my Granddaddy said Gaylord is supposed to be a happy place but to me, it's like Bellas Hess, it's a helluva mess.

Esteemed Contributor

To me Gaylord is a convention center/resort/hotel here in North Texas. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 Wow! Your head must be full of words. I think I come across a new word several times a day! I only know your word as being capitalized, as in a name or a Gaylord box. (I used to do quite a bit of shipping)

Respected Contributor

Re: Word of the Day

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom   Bingo! From what I read, a Gaylord box is now just called a gaylord. I went to Goodwill this morning to drop off some items, and the attendant said, "Put them in that gaylord." He was pointing to a huge corrugated box that sits on a pallet for easy moving.

Didn't take long Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

On the tv show "Frasier", Frasier Crane's son's name is "Frederick Gaylord Crane".

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3  Yippee! What do I win? 

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@PickyPicky3  Yippee! What do I win? 

@PA Mom-mom   Thanks from those of us that didn't have a clue and waited for the answer rather than going to Google for the answer.  Smiley Happy