Honored Contributor

Just glanced out my slider and there was a woodpecker at the suet cake and then feeeding it's youngster!!!!!!  How cute!  It's the large-sized woodpecker with the large red marking in the back of it's head.  Not sure if it's considered a flicker or a red-bellied woodpecker.  Anyway, whichever, it sure was cute to watch!  The back of the head of the youngster was still much paler in color.

Honored Contributor

They are only cute until they peck on your siding on your house and cause $3000 worth of damage....... 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Fortunately, I had all the wood trim on my house capped when I replaced the siding!  But I know...they can be destructive.

Respected Contributor

I have about 1/4 acre of wooded area for these birds to enjoy.  If they would just stay in this habitat, I would perhaps enjoy them.........but.............

Not fond of woodpeckers as they have caused a lot of damage to the wooden support posts to both myself and my neighbors front entry areas.  I have had to hire a carpenter to repair the damage at two different times. Plus, I had to have my regular pest control company spray the wood and investigate.  There is no reason why they decided to destroy my home.  There were no insects or larvae inside for them to enjoy!  

I hope they stay where they belong for those that do enjoy them!  

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette- We have several feeders right outside our back door and we get a variety of woodpeckers.  We've also had what you describe - the father (red marking) feeding the young.  I agree, it's wonderful to watch.

With all the common species, the male has the red marking on the back of its head, so you'd have to look it up to know which one you had.  The one like Woody Woodpecker is a pileated woodpecker.

Once or twice I've had a young woodpecker land on our screen (learning to fly) but we've never had them damage our siding or home.  I think I'd notice before they did $3000 worth of damage (wow!).  They're certainly loud enough, when they're hammering away.

Could be because we have trees on our property and they peck at them (to get the insects).  Enjoy your wildlife!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

They are only cute until they peck on your siding on your house and cause $3000 worth of damage....... 

LOL  True, I don't have that problem, but, a woman I knew that I met on vacation in New Mexico was griping about a woodpecker that was making holes for nest in side of her house she put out a contract on him.  Something got him now she's pecker free.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia  Oh I knew they were doing the damage....I did everything possible to stop them...I would have shot them except they are protected were I live,  I wish I had pictures of what damage they did....replaced that side of the house with hardy plank and that stopped it.  They started another hole on another side of the house and I filled that and put a metal plate there.   They are very  persistent.

Honored Contributor

Glad I got brick

Frequent Contributor

We've also had woodpecker damage.  We read somewhere that if you hang up an owl decoy that really discourages them.  We found a full sized one and it really helped a lot. Thank goodness because our woodpeckers were even pecking our metal chimney. Talk about a racket!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a Red Belly, love woodpeckers!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras