Honored Contributor

Re: Wondering if it is worth it for me?

I like Tinkrbell's idea.  Only, in the beginning, I'd probably just lay there, and use the rebounding feature.  Just until my ribs begin to feel better.   I'm the overly-cautious type, though. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

Now you know how women feel when they look in the mirror and are so surprised by what they see.

Just like how your felt when your balance wasn't there.

I take it back, sort of.

Women can go watch YouTube and see other women dealing with aging issues (such as growing out the coloring process and going gray). I'm not sure men have some of the options of commiserating with other guys about loss of sports abilities.

I think men need other men who can relate. I think it is healthy to finally reach acceptance of our limitations.

What is even healthier, is to shift our priorities from "what did I DO" to "what do I think?"  HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, check out some of the recumbent trikes.

Honored Contributor

Once a skater, always a skater.  My son and granddaughter are both hockey players and it's in their blood.

it's time for you to go back to the basics,  I have seen adult and child skaters with walkers on the ice.  These walkers keep the skaters from falling down on the ice and off of the ice.

One of these walkers might work for you.  At least it would help with balance and help you gain strength.  

Maybe you can look into one.  What have you to lose?

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden, check out some of the recumbent trikes.

@tansy Nope.

Esteemed Contributor

I echo your suggestion @lynne6was7.

"Classical Stretch" on PBS is an excellent program for stretching, strengthing, balance, and flexibility at any age, and starting from any physical condition. 

Not to mention the woman conducting the sessions is the only "exercise person" I can tolerate.

There's no fluffy, fake-happy talk or macho-muscle talk from her.

She talks about specific muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones and joints and what you will gain from doing each movement in that days session. 

And her workouts require you to move s l o w l y

which I repeat from upthread, is what John needs to force smaller muscles involved in balance to do their job. 

John,  your love for skating and desire to get back out on the ice is an excellent motivation. I don't understand the posts encouraging you to essentially 'give up'. Phooey to that! You were just impatient and tried to run before you were ready to walk. 

Me? After 8-10 months of strengthing small muscles, I'd be skating on a double bladed skate while wearing a helmet and holding a walker. Yup, I'd skate, but ready to set a walker down on the ice to steady myself at any moment. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So sorry for what you're going through.  You have always seemed to have a lot of knowledge on physiology and I feel you will make the best decision.

Hope you feel better!

Respected Contributor

No! 

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@hckynut  I know you are a goal oriented person.  Keep in mind that one of the tasks of old age is to accept loss and change with grace and peace.  Can you turn your mind to the challenge of just that after your recent close call?

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

john, i haven't read most of the comments so i will say i think you are a very smart fella based on previous posts. 

i honestly wouldn't dream of telling you what to do.  this is a very big deal.  what i will suggest is making a pro and con list.  this should give you your answer.

i can't believe i'm saying this because it's so corny, lol.  trust your instincts on this.  i think you'll be just fine and i wish you all the best regardless of your decision.

let us know, please what you decide.