Respected Contributor

Re: Wondering if it is worth it for me?

I'm so sorry you had an accident and are injured.  I think it's great that you like to challenge yourself.  What you do in the future after you are healed is up to you - You're a smart man and know your own body.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut,

I don't think one broken rib is enough to stop your fitness comeback; I support your decision to keep making the effort.    Best wishes to you.   

Trusted Contributor

My vote goes to Yoga; it isn't anything like skating, but it is relaxing.  Also, a good way to strengthen your core, which I find helps my balance.

Maybe try Yoga for awhile and experiment with skating down the road.

Good luck to you, my friend.  Wishes for many days upright, not on the ground or ice.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

After today I am not sure. Decided about a month ago to start another comeback to get to the best fitness I can, at my age. Consider myself as being fairly fit, considering all the setbacks(physical) in the last 14 months. So! 

One of my goals, which I really want to accomplish, is getting back my ice skating skills I have had since my single digit age. Because of my several serious health issues, and on blood thinner and Plavix, I hadn't skated for 12 years. Ran my adult league(52 years), with 2014-2015 being my last year, but all off the ice work keeping it going.

So, since I upped my workout loads the last 2 months to get my legs stronger, along with adding longer cardio sessions, with several intervals thrown in at different times on my treadmill and NuStep, some of my exercise equipment that did not get ruined when our basement got flooded with sewage.

I will shorten this up and get to the point now. I decided about 3 weeks ago to go ice skating. The rink only has Public Skating 2 afternoons a week, and that is about 3-4 too few to really have a shot at getting back once held skills on ice skates. Even moreso because of the nature of my health issues.

First day skating I found out within 10' I had no balance on skates, and slowly fell to the ice. Stayed close to the rink boards sonI could grab them, just in case, and good thing I did. I struggled along making very little headway, for about 45 minutes on skates? Got a little better, but some beginner skaters were doing better than me.

Last week only 1 day for Public Skating, I went and while better, I fell not by the boards. A nice young teen came and helped me up, and I skated back to sit down and try to mentally figure out where my skills and balance were hiding.

So this afternoon, off I go again to skate. I was trying to warmup up, still skating by the boards as a "just in case". Next thing I know, I am falling towards my right side, but forward. I was quick enough to get my forearm up as to not hit my head, but somehow my right chest hit the ice.

I have fallen enough over many decades to know bad ones from those where you get a bruise, even deep ones, and ones where they are probably more serious. I knew as soon as  my upper body hit the ice, someting happened internally, and not just a deep bone bruise.

I got up, stood by the boards with my head down, deep in thought. Do I really want to go through the pains of my hockey injuries of the past, or just admit I have lost it? I decided to stick it out for a little over an hour, being 95% sure what injury I had suffered, and what was causing my 8-10 level pain.

I drove home and decided I best get in to see my doctor, but nothing till Friday. I called my nephew-in-law doctor, and he told me to go right to the ER, after I told him I was pretty sure I had fractured at least 1 rib. He said I might have more damage than that, and I would be wise to get the xrays.

Drove to the ER and spent 4 hours there waiting and another hour or more getting the xrays and the results of them. Sure enough I had a fractured upper right rib, once again the #4 I had fractured years ago. I know the drill from my 5 previous fractured ribs.

This time however I won't/can't take any anti-inflammatory or narcotic pain killers. Advil/Aleve will start my colon bleeding again. Narcotics will alter my brain chemicals and I really can't chance because of my issues and Clinical Diagnosis of problems caused with that imbalance. So I am pretty much stuck with Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and it does very little for joint/back or fracture pain levels.

So I figure it will be at the very least 3-4 months healing, which means coughing/sneezing/lifting my arm abovementioned​ my head, and keeping my furry kids between my fractured rib them standing on or around it. Lots more use of The Motivator (Spirometer) to prevent lungs filling with fluid.

When it is painful to breath deeply, many fail to do so and fluid build up in their lungs. Trying to avoid real high pain levels is a natural human instinct, and for old people like myself, it is harder for most. My advantage(if there is such a thing), is I have been this route 3 times previously

Talked with my wife and she said: "You are going to do what you ARE GOING TO DO, so why are you asking me, I think you like pain". Chances are I will probably grab my skates Friday afternoon and give it another go. I love skating that much, even though what I doing now, can barely be called skating.

Long story/long day, but I thought I would throw it on the board to see what others think. Thank you if you have read this far.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

Okay, John, as a former gymnast, I DO get where you're coming from ...... have not read every single post, so sorry if this has already been covered.

First .......  a very wise trainer once told me that PAIN IS INFORMATION ...... and never ignore what your body is telling you.

Secondly, I don't think this is one of those times where you should NOT try to "tough it out".   Just don't do that!

My suggestion ......  one way or another, get your self a few one-on-one sessions with a Pilates instructor.  Not only does Pilates help with strengthening the teeny tiny muscles in your legs and arms, but helps to recover an astounding sense of balance, very quickly.    If you've never tried Pilates, you will be amazed.    The original reformer was developed to help injured dancers start to get back in shape with little body weight pressure.   

If you are replacing any of the equipment you lost, I suggest you strongly consider getting an Aero Pilates machine they often have on QVC.    Watch the videos and read the reviews.    This is the "soft" way to exercise muscle and regain balance.    HTH

Tink

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  As usual I haven't read the whole thread.

Has anyone mentioned tai chi? 

And find some workouts that focus on your core (in addition to pilates).

Get back your balance on land...and then maybe try the ice again.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I haven't read all of the posters' suggestions; only your O/P.  Anyway, I don't think that docs in general would approve of your going out and skating Friday.  I would 'give skating a rest' until my ribs were completely healed.  And I would follow my doc's suggestions re: exercise, stretching, and whatever else.  I'd 'leave well enough alone', so to speak, for now, anyway.  Lots of good luck to you, and your wife, too.   Take care, be careful.   Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  John, sometimes old favorite pastimes need to stay pastimes.....you can find something else to stay fit that is less dangerous.  🤕Face reality....you are no spring  chicken.  Either am I! Perhaps your balance for skating is just not there.  Please put the skates up!⛸

I use to love biking, 🚴🏼‍♀️  And I have two expensive mountain bikes in  my garage.  They have been there for 15 years.  I am not going to bike outside ever again.....I value my bones too much. So I walk a lot instead.  It is fine. 

Please find a safer hobby for  your health and so you are healthy for your sweet wife.  She deserves that.  Put the skates up John 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://nypost.com/video/this-99-year-older-runner-edged-his-92-year-old-opponent-in-a-race/

@hckynut, as my dad always said, Let your conscience be your guide; he also always said, life is too short to dance with ugly women...!  Enjoy the video of two guys that make you look like a teenager!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I asked my trainer today about your situation.

To qualify, he's a 49YO-adult-league hockey player...h.u.g.e. hockey player...you guys are a feisty bunch!!  

He said if balance is an issue, 'he needs to focus on strength...definitely he needs some weight room work.'  He didn't say 'stay off the skates', but gaining strength would limit skate time, for now.  When I mention 'cycle?', he didn't say no, but indoor cycling (Spinning) is a wonderful, safe, cardio option....he would approve.  Get that natural adrenaline high, while easy on the joints.   HTH!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@hckynut, I took a page from your book and didn't read any replies.  If you fall again, with the broken rib, wouldn't you be setting yourself up for a worse injury?  It sounds like balance exercises would be helpful at this point.  How about tai chi?

TAI CHI is one of the most excellent sources of exercise there is, promoting both balance and isometric movements.  One of the reasons it is so perfect for older people.  It also incorporates actual Karate and promotes smooth graceful movements.  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*