Super Contributor

Re: Wondering if it is worth it for me?

@hckynut As an older person myself, I know it is hard to accept that there are some things we will never be able to do again. But we must accept that or we will make life much harder for ourselves and those around us. You could break a hip and that is a hard surgery for someone with your medical conditions. You could end up having to use a cane or a walker. Be thankful you are in the good shape you are in. Leave the skating to your past and enjoy the memories. You have been given some good advice on this board. Please listen!

Esteemed Contributor

Sadly I think it's time to hang up those skates. But you know you better so do what you think is best for you and Miss Cindy plus your furry babies. Take care John and best of Luck whatever you decide. 

Valued Contributor

I believe I read recently that a leading cause of death for older people is injury due to falling.  A bad fall often leads to long term immobility which leads to other health issues.  I exercise at a gym regularly and am mindful of the limitations of my age.  Sometimes you just have to face the fact that you can't do what you used to do.  That being said, I am not a risk-taker.  Some folks are and they are fine with their decisions.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have always been into physical fitness, health, and nutrition all of my life. In my fifties, my regimen was to bike two miles to a beautiful wooded running area and run for three miles and then bike home. I could do anything I liked and I trusted my body and believed it would never let me down.

It was painful to discover I had limitations and my body let me know about it. After the "shock" of that, I've continued thru my Senior years making "adjustments" as I go along. Thankfully, as I drop one endeavor, I find another more suitable that makes my body happy and still does what I want: health and fitness.

I read about these superior people, in their 70's, 80's, 90's and even l00's whose bodies have allowed them to do extraordinary things. I admire them and attribute their abilities to genes.

It breaks your heart to give up that which you love, @hckynut, but were it me, I would look for that "other" thing you love and enjoy and can do w/o harm to yourself, but still makes you very happy.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

I believe I read recently that a leading cause of death for older people is injury due to falling.  A bad fall often leads to long term immobility which leads to other health issues.  I exercise at a gym regularly and am mindful of the limitations of my age.  Sometimes you just have to face the fact that you can't do what you used to do.  That being said, I am not a risk-taker.  Some folks are and they are fine with their decisions.  

@Kardi....yes! I read the same. I saw it in so many family members and friends. Once their mobility was affected to the point where they could no longer walk well...they suffered greatly. Injuries really affected their over-all health.

Honored Contributor

I really think you know the answer. Seems pretty clear to me.

Honored Contributor

I really feel for you and have experienced something of the same... although not your lengthy litany of injuries....  

I was very proficient in roller skating, which also translated to ice skating. I was a soft ball player, basketball, volleyball.... and for most of my life, Karate (attaining a 2nd Degree black belt).  But I was active and enjoyed sports. I was active in Karate until well into my 50's and was my Studio's poster girl for older women and did a lot of demos with the younger students, Nanchakus, Staff, Swords, Free Fighting, etc.  

Then I had the Fall of 2010 and fell down our stairs.  Luckily DH was home and heard the fall.  He said I wasn't breathing.  I had 3 brain bleeds and a concussion as I hit my left cheekbone on the bannister at the bottom of the stairs.  I have no recollection of the fall at all, just spotty stuff with the Emerg crew and barely remembering my stay in the hospital.  After spontaneously healing the brain bleeds (I was lucky) and over all healing, the residual problem was my balance.  It wasn't horrific, but I'll get a "bobble" where out of the blue I am losing my balance.  I also have on occasion a little vertigo as a result.  Everything else is fine, but no matter how much I "train" (and I've trained my entire life), I can't get that "bobble" to go away and it has affected what I want to do.  Of course the training has helped me be the best I can and probably better than if I didn't... the doctor has stated that the brain injury I received has healed and this will probably be it.

SO...  it was a period of mourning for me to know that Karate would no longer be part of my life but I've come to terms with it and have developed other interests and will continue to train to try and continue to be strong.  I don't want to have a walking stick but purchased a "cool" one that was hand carved when we went to Black Hills last year and keep it in my office to look at!  And I will use it when/if I need to.  Does it make me less than who I am?  Absolutely not.  I will fight to maintain my strength in any way I can, and look forward to other things I really enjoy doing. 

I sincerely hope you will as well..... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Q4u, your post is very motivational and very wise. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut, I took a page from your book and didn't read any replies.  If you fall again, with the broken rib, wouldn't you be setting yourself up for a worse injury?  It sounds like balance exercises would be helpful at this point.  How about tai chi?

Honored Contributor

The only constant in life is change.  As I have gone through my life I have had to make many of them, not all pleasant.  I have lost my family, I have moved to other houses, I retired from a job I loved, and I have faced physical changes.

I think the best we can do is sometimes accept change we don't want to make and look for the new in life, and look for things that reward us in ways we have yet to discover.

Whatever your decision John, I know you will make it with thoughtfulness and with an eye toward new goals, challenges and rewards.  You take a big bite out of life, and I don't think you will ever be content not to challenge yourself--but maybe it is time to think of new ways to do that!  

All best wishes for you and Cindy and the cats!