Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wondering if it is worth it for me?

Ford...you sure tugged on my heartstrings with your response to John, our Hockey Nut friend.  Bless you for being so positive, and yes, life is short, the years fly by and suddenly we find ourselves older and wonder where it all went.  Take care of yourself, many of us here love hearing from you.

@LilacTree wrote:

Dear John ( . . . "oh how I hate to write" . . . sorry, I couldn't resist). LOL

Reality is that aging is tragic, and I don't necessarily mean you know your days are numbered.  I mean the constant losses, usually every year, one can look back at something they can no longer do.  It's worse for those with health issues as you have, and autoimmune diseases that I have, which pick away at everything the body used to do without a thought.  I received the convection oven I bought from the Q.  It sits in the hallway now for four days, as I can't open the box.  I have to wait until someone can unwrap it for me.  Maybe this weekend.

It started years ago, as I am now 79 . . . used to have beautiful hand writing, now I can't even print.  Thankfully I can still type, but so much slower and always having to deliberately plant my fingers on my right hand on the keys because they no longer automatically go there.  (When that goes, I will really hit bottom).

I used to roller skate, my sister and I were really good.  I could still do it in my 40s and 50s, but that is certainly gone now since I can't even stand up for five minutes without back pain.  I used to ride my bike every day.  I've lost at least 50% hearing in my left ear, I can't bend over, twist, or reach, I can't pick up more than a half gallon of anything and that has to be with both hands and from a countertop.  I have to prepare myself to swallow or I will choke.  I can't make my bed, I have to sit in the shower, I can't slice anything, so I can't cook,  I can't make my bed, or vacuum.  I am used to the constant bruising, pain, UTIs, gastric issues, itching, sore scalp, dropping and breaking things.

I took myself off the road five years ago.  My daughter now drives the car I had just bought before I realized I had lost not only the physical ability to drive, but my sense of distance (turning too soon, or too late). I don't want to kill myself or anyone else.

Yet I feel lucky because I can still type, I can still type, I can still type.  I am still good mentally, not always emotionally.  You are still good mentally, but you yearn for the thing you loved most (other than your wife and your pets) and that is being on the ice, that exhilarating feeling of hardly meeting the ground as you glide across it, the satisfaction of running a team and when they won . . . such a rush!! 

Getting (Being) old is tragic and I consider us both lucky because we are still here.  So many of my loved ones and companions, friends, much younger than I, are already gone. 

So we have to make the most of what we still have, because we may not have it next year.  It all goes very fast at this stage of life. 

Your post brought all of this out in me, because you have never been one to complain.  You've been through so much, showing the strength of character that you obviously have.  Both of us (and many others here) have to be grateful every day for what we do have because there's no "up" from here, there is just acceptance.

Hang in there, John.  And be careful.  (((Hugs))) ~Ford

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

So @hckynut, we're all in suspense. What did you decide? I hope you are healing and feeling better..

@Trinity11

I don't like that he's not answering, Trin. 

Hi Lilac Tree.... He just replied on another thread so I think he is here..

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

So @hckynut, we're all in suspense. What did you decide? I hope you are healing and feeling better..

@Trinity11

I don't like that he's not answering, Trin. 

Hi Lilac Tree.... He just replied on another thread so I think he is here..

@Trinity11

Excellent!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

Ford...you sure tugged on my heartstrings with your response to John, our Hockey Nut friend.  Bless you for being so positive, and yes, life is short, the years fly by and suddenly we find ourselves older and wonder where it all went.  Take care of yourself, many of us here love hearing from you.

@Lindsays Grandma

Thanks, LG.  I'd be lost without you folks too.  And I mean that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

Hi John, Devils fan here again! I understand exactly what you are feeling! After my badly broken foot I can no longer do many things I enjoyed. Is there a compromise for you? I don't know, but are there double bladed skates that would allow you to be back on ice but give you more stability? I get it's not exactly the same, but it's better than not skating, yes?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  I think that once you heal up and get well you should consider balance exercises.  It's a fact that seniors lose their balance as they get older so even if you decide not to give the ice another spin getting stronger in that area can help with future falls.

You might want to consider yoga.  My husband has been doing yoga for several years now to help with his balance issues.  He has a neurological brain illness that affects his balance. Yoga helps to keep him strong and flexible.  He take classes at the gym and is often the only guy in the class.   

It's got to be very frustrating to not to be able to do something that was second nature to you in the past!

@hckynut

I also recommend balance exercises.  A physical therapist can assist you in regaining your balance.  Most of the exercises can be continued at home.  Then you might want to reconsider skating--starting very slowly with a partner.  Good luck!!!

Trusted Contributor

jewelwisher wrote:

Hi John, Devils fan here again! I understand exactly what you are feeling! After my badly broken foot I can no longer do many things I enjoyed. Is there a compromise for you? I don't know, but are there double bladed skates that would allow you to be back on ice but give you more stability? I get it's not exactly the same, but it's better than not skating, yes?

@Imadickens  The problem with double-runners is that they are usually affixed to very crappy, low-quality boots that offer no support. And they cause more drag on the ice; can't really skate in them.

A good quality, supportive boot, along with some balance therapy and head protection would be the better option.

Guess John is stilling mulling over his decision.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut, so sorry that your injured your rib.  You remind me of my husband so I'm going to tell you what I tell/told him..."Hard head, soft butt".  I'm sure your wife is so frustrated.  What one spouse goes through, the other spouse goes through.  

It would be nice if we could keep the same abilities all of our lives but we can't and we have to learn to accept that.  Hopefully you can find some physical activity that is less stressful on your body.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)