Honored Contributor

Wondering if it is worth it for me?

[ Edited ]

After today I am not sure. Decided about a month ago to start another comeback to get to the best fitness I can, at my age. Consider myself as being fairly fit, considering all the setbacks(physical) in the last 14 months. So! 

One of my goals, which I really want to accomplish, is getting back my ice skating skills I have had since my single digit age. Because of my several serious health issues, and on blood thinner and Plavix, I hadn't skated for 12 years. Ran my adult league(52 years), with 2014-2015 being my last year, but all off the ice work keeping it going.

So, since I upped my workout loads the last 2 months to get my legs stronger, along with adding longer cardio sessions, with several intervals thrown in at different times on my treadmill and NuStep, some of my exercise equipment that did not get ruined when our basement got flooded with sewage.

I will shorten this up and get to the point now. I decided about 3 weeks ago to go ice skating. The rink only has Public Skating 2 afternoons a week, and that is about 3-4 too few to really have a shot at getting back once held skills on ice skates. Even moreso because of the nature of my health issues.

First day skating I found out within 10' I had no balance on skates, and slowly fell to the ice. Stayed close to the rink boards sonI could grab them, just in case, and good thing I did. I struggled along making very little headway, for about 45 minutes on skates? Got a little better, but some beginner skaters were doing better than me.

Last week only 1 day for Public Skating, I went and while better, I fell not by the boards. A nice young teen came and helped me up, and I skated back to sit down and try to mentally figure out where my skills and balance were hiding.

So this afternoon, off I go again to skate. I was trying to warmup up, still skating by the boards as a "just in case". Next thing I know, I am falling towards my right side, but forward. I was quick enough to get my forearm up as to not hit my head, but somehow my right chest hit the ice.

I have fallen enough over many decades to know bad ones from those where you get a bruise, even deep ones, and ones where they are probably more serious. I knew as soon as  my upper body hit the ice, someting happened internally, and not just a deep bone bruise.

I got up, stood by the boards with my head down, deep in thought. Do I really want to go through the pains of my hockey injuries of the past, or just admit I have lost it? I decided to stick it out for a little over an hour, being 95% sure what injury I had suffered, and what was causing my 8-10 level pain.

I drove home and decided I best get in to see my doctor, but nothing till Friday. I called my nephew-in-law doctor, and he told me to go right to the ER, after I told him I was pretty sure I had fractured at least 1 rib. He said I might have more damage than that, and I would be wise to get the xrays.

Drove to the ER and spent 4 hours there waiting and another hour or more getting the xrays and the results of them. Sure enough I had a fractured upper right rib, once again the #4 I had fractured years ago. I know the drill from my 5 previous fractured ribs.

This time however I won't/can't take any anti-inflammatory or narcotic pain killers. Advil/Aleve will start my colon bleeding again. Narcotics will alter my brain chemicals and I really can't chance because of my issues and Clinical Diagnosis of problems caused with that imbalance. So I am pretty much stuck with Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and it does very little for joint/back or fracture pain levels.

So I figure it will be at the very least 3-4 months healing, which means coughing/sneezing/lifting my arm abovementioned​ my head, and keeping my furry kids between my fractured rib them standing on or around it. Lots more use of The Motivator (Spirometer) to prevent lungs filling with fluid.

When it is painful to breath deeply, many fail to do so and fluid build up in their lungs. Trying to avoid real high pain levels is a natural human instinct, and for old people like myself, it is harder for most. My advantage(if there is such a thing), is I have been this route 3 times previously

Talked with my wife and she said: "You are going to do what you ARE GOING TO DO, so why are you asking me, I think you like pain". Chances are I will probably grab my skates Friday afternoon and give it another go. I love skating that much, even though what I doing now, can barely be called skating.

Long story/long day, but I thought I would throw it on the board to see what others think. Thank you if you have read this far.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wondering if it is worth it for me?

[ Edited ]
Sorry John, I think your body has already answered your question.  Please continue to work out and take care of your health, and look to other past-times that you can enjoy.   The balance is not there.  This will not be easy, a part of you will "mourn" the loss.   
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

John ol' boy,

I would say, think on this: and what if you need to be there for Cindy or one of your pets?

Don't tell me but remember your age. 

Your rib says, not for 3-4 mos. John, what's it take for wakey wakey? You could really hurt yourself!!

Can you find something else you like that won't require balance as much and ends up at the emergency ward, and doesn't mean broken body parts?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a cautious person by nature and given your history, I would "leave well enough alone," and heal that fractured rib.  Meanwhile, 

if rib pain isn't too bad, continue with your excercise and workout routines.  If you chose to continue skating, you might not get away with just a fractured rib next time.  It's true you don't forget how to ride a bike, skate or drive, but after many years, it's just not the same.  Don't stress the could haves.  If it should have, it would have.  All the best to you!

Esteemed Contributor

I think you already know the answer.......wish you the best whatever you decide...

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  I think that once you heal up and get well you should consider balance exercises.  It's a fact that seniors lose their balance as they get older so even if you decide not to give the ice another spin getting stronger in that area can help with future falls.

You might want to consider yoga.  My husband has been doing yoga for several years now to help with his balance issues.  He has a neurological brain illness that affects his balance. Yoga helps to keep him strong and flexible.  He take classes at the gym and is often the only guy in the class.   

It's got to be very frustrating to not to be able to do something that was second nature to you in the past!

Esteemed Contributor

First, even if you don't return to skating, you need to improve your balance to help prevent falls. Falling is dangerous (YOU know that!)

I suspect all the bigger muscles are carrying the whole load, and the smaller muscles are not supplying the support they should. They've gotten lazy and are going for a free ride because they can, and your workouts have concentrated on strengthening major muscle groups, making the disparity even larger.
If you're nodding 'Yes', you need to force the smaller muscles to work.
You do this by slowing down.

Walking heel to toe very slowly down an imaginary line, (like a tightrope walker) hands out at your sides for balance, pausing to hold each step a few seconds will force smaller muscles to work.
The big ones let you stand up but the smaller weaker ones will be forced to work to keep you in balance on that line.

Also, stand with feet apart 18"-24", using fairly light handweights, move them in small arcs and large arcs, but move them very slowly.
You'll find small supporting muscles all the way around your torso will get into the act of extending that small weight and holding it out at arms length as you circle it around at snail's pace.

In no time you'll be able to hold one foot slightly off the ground while slowly moving the weights in arcs.

When these smaller muscles are strong enough to do what they're supposed to do I'd recommend a Ti Chi class with a good instructor who understands the work you've done to get that far.

If you decide to try skating in the future, you might try roller skates before ice. Or...do they still make a double bladed ice skate? Something where you can get the moves and posture down and feel the acceleration before going to a single blade.
Best of luck John.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

Oh, goodness.  I feel for you!  I had a bad feeling when I was reading your post!!!  I believe I can truly commiserate with you.  Although I am not a skater (I always wanted to be) I think I understand where you are coming from. 

I used to love to walk.  Walking was my passion.  I mean when I was younger, I was very active and physical.  I would take all sorts of exercise classes and belonged to 2 exercise clubs and used all the machines and then I came home and did workout tapes, exercise bike, trampoline, slider, treadmill, stepper, --- you name it.

But my real love was walking --- I would walk and walk for hours and hours. 

As I got older, and found I really couldn't do a lot of these things any more --- well, most of them --- I still could do the walking and it did so much for me.  Not only physically --- but mentally.  

A couple years ago, I started getting this ankle thing.  Extreme pain.  Like sharp hooks cutting into me.  I have been to so many doctors and had so much therapy.  But nothing has really been resolved.  So --- no more walking.  I am lucky I can just walk to get from point A to B.  

So depressing!  I never thought this would happen to me.  I miss walking so terribly.  Beyond belief.

So --- I do know how you feel!  I know that skating is something that means a lot to you.  

Maybe after you heal up from this injury, it would be best to hang up the skates and look for an alternative form of exercise.  It's hard to give up something that means so much to you, but getting injured so much -- is it worth it?  I guess that's up to you, but for me it would not be. 

Best wishes, John.  I hope you heal up quickly.  You seem a great guy and we all enjoy posting with you!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

John, if it were me or any other of your friends here telling this story.....what would you say to them?  Remember, when something happens to you it affects everyone around you...your wife, your furry kids, etc.  I hope you'll heal fast with no complications. It's very hard to give up things you love.......  I understand that... but I think someone upstairs is trying to tell you something. 

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

John ol' boy,

I would say, think on this: and what if you need to be there for Cindy or one of your pets?

Don't tell me but remember your age. 

Your rib says, not for 3-4 mos. John, what's it take for wakey wakey? You could really hurt yourself!!

Can you find something else you like that won't require balance as much and ends up at the emergency ward, and doesn't mean broken body parts?

John, you are currently experiencing pain on an 8 to 10 scale and you can only take tylenol?  Time to hang up your skates friend.