Honored Contributor

Re: Wondering if it is worth it for me?

@hckynut Hey thanks for getting back to us.I was wondering if you might have been upset about our responses.Glad to know that you are feeling better and I have a strong hunch that you will be making your visit to the rink.Stay safe and happy.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

Ice skating accidents can be very serious.  And the taller you are, the harder you fall.  Build yourself up to the hilt first.  I always have been impressed by tai chi and want to try sometime.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut

I've read just a few of the replies and did pick up on your recent reply.

My two cents:  I can't see you not giving it another go; however, give it a rest, guy!  That rib needs to heal!  Yeh, I know lots of athletes play in pain, but your circumstances are a tic different.  Right?  Get back to it, but allow time for healing.  Also, get some quality advice on your balance issue on the ice.  It could be as simple as the same muscle groups on each side, plus associated tendons, which require specific attention.

Like you, I'm a very competitive person and have been since I was 7.  However, there are so many things I can no longer do due to malformations which occurred post-op in both hands - a condition called CRPS or Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome, which doesn't at all express what's going on.  In my right hand, I have lost 50% of the strength and cannot close my hand in a grip, nor bend my thumb.  Additionally, this hand vice the left hand really malformed after surgery and sustained acute onset arthritis, adding to the malformations.  There's so much sport-wise I cannot do with my hands any longer.  And, my first trip through college, I had a double major: Piano and Kinesiology.  Had been playing piano since the age of 4, but that stopped with these surgeries and the permanent damage.  No more this, no more that.

Appreciating your various afflictions and challenges, were I in your shoes, I'd do the same thing.

Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your reply, John.  Have been wondering how you are coming along. I tried to invent in my mind a big blown up bubble for you to slip into so if you fall you would just bounce...Ha!!!!!  Have you seen those for kids where they bump bodies while in their bubbles. I truly think they should make one for we seniors!!!!!!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut Your response is very sensible. Best wishes for a speedy healing.

smiley_face.jpg

Honored Contributor

John, i owe you a apology, for what i said,i am sorry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

John, I read your most recent reply, so already know your decision.

My answer would be to give up skating, there comes a time when we have to accept the fact that we can't do some of the things we love to do.

7 years ago I had a rt hip replacement at age 56. I loved riding horses (not really good at it, but love them). I decided I didn't want to take the chance of getting tossed, and that was the end of that love.

Wishing you the best-be careful!

Valued Contributor

Please be careful 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Be thankful you didn't hit your head on the ice and cause a brain bleed or death.  I don't like pain, have had more than my fair share since childhood, so I would not risk worse than you got by continuing to try.  Your issue with balance should tell you that the skating game is over, but I am sure you have wonderful memories of when you did ice skate. Smiley Happy

Hopefully, you can come up with an activity which you will like and which won't risk life or limb.