Esteemed Contributor

Wonderful educational resource for your pre-school children/grandchildren

We have a 22 month old granddaughter who has been working with and enjoying "Endless Reader" on her Mom's tablet for about 2 months.  She's doing so well with it my husband installed it on his tablet and I've now installed it on my iPhone.

It is:  Endless Reader by Originator Company

One starts with a package of about 12 simple words for free.  Let's take the word "will," for example.  When DGD pokes the word, the screen changes and we see the word "will" as an outlined word of 4 letters.  In the surrounding field are the letters, W, I, L and L.  The challege is for the child to place a finger on a letter and drag it into place; e.g., on top of an outlined letter.  When a finger touches a letter like W, you hear it say, wuh, wuh, wuh.  For the "I" we hear "ih" and for the "L" we hear something like "luh."  Once completed, we are further challenged by a sentence, which uses the key word, plus 2 or 3 additional words, which one must drag into place.  Though this may sound complicated, believe me, if my then 20 month old GD could get the hang of it, it is quite do-able.  At 22 months, she's loving this and constantly asks for "Reader, please, Oma."

Honored Contributor

Re: Wonderful educational resource for your pre-school children/grandchildren

Hooray!  Smiley Very Happy

Here's a link - plus download stuff - for more info.:

http://www.originatorkids.com/?p=40

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Jaye,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a link!

Becc

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Jaye,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a link!

Becc

You're welcome, Becc!

Anything I can do to help children and in any way...  they're my favorite hoomins.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

So cool !
Honored Contributor

So interesting. 

I'm not an educator, but was very involved in reading activities with my son's school, and I have to wonder, with all this new technology, and kids in diapers being taught to read, will this raise the level of education our kids get?

I'd love to see studies done comparing the effectivness of the 'old' ways vs using the newer technologies, and see, overtime, if this will make some difference in how early kids read, how well, how improved (or not) their comprehension, test scores, and if it relates to other learning. 

I tend to be old fashioned, but find this fascinating. 

Still nothing better than a child on my lap with a book. No electronic equipment will ever replace that feeling.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

So interesting. 

I'm not an educator, but was very involved in reading activities with my son's school, and I have to wonder, with all this new technology, and kids in diapers being taught to read, will this raise the level of education our kids get?

I'd love to see studies done comparing the effectivness of the 'old' ways vs using the newer technologies, and see, overtime, if this will make some difference in how early kids read, how well, how improved (or not) their comprehension, test scores, and if it relates to other learning. 

I tend to be old fashioned, but find this fascinating. 

Still nothing better than a child on my lap with a book. No electronic equipment will ever replace that feeling.

Hi mominohio,

My curiosity is as yours and I'm an educator to boot.

From the get-go, our granddaughter has been read to by Mama and Papa and Oma and Opa.  We have a 10' long IKEA cube unit in our livingroom.  8 of the cubes belong to our granddaughter.  Of those 8, 4 are crammed with books, which she is constantly grabbing and asking us to read to her.  She will ask for a story over and over and over.

She does, however, really enjoy this reader "game."  She has developed favorite words and, if allowed, will sit with a tablet and really concentrate on this for ove 30 minutes (22 months old).  I know some people will say I'm nuts saying she's concentrating, but I can see it in her face and her body English. Her parents, however, have decided that she must now "earn" the time to spend on the tablet with the "reader."  I'm rather confused at this and need to ask if we're expected to do the same, whatever that means.  (SIL grew up in a military family, so this many be part of it.)

Anyway, I agree with you and look forward to watch our little munchkin intellectually develop in the next several years.  Her Mom read at age 5; but this little kiddo is already advanced, per her pediatrician, her 2 days/week super day care gal and the four of us.  She is showing signs of being precocious.  We're all trying to just figure her out on a daily basis.