Esteemed Contributor

Wonderful Story About a Homeless Student and the Police

When police received a report over the weekend of a tent pitched outside of Gordon State College in Barnesville, Georgia, they headed over and asked the occupant to come out with hands in sight, the Herald-Gazette reports.

Fred Barley, 19, emerged from the tent and told the officers his story, according to WSB-TV.

A homeless biology major who’d come to register for his second semester, Barley had pedaled a 20-inch bike six hours from Conyers in the scorching Georgia heat with just his tent, a few belongings, some water, and a box of cereal, setting up his tent until the dorms opened in August so he could look for a job.

The officers were stunned and brought him to a motel and paid for two nights. “I could tell he was a good kid … who had been dealt a bad hand,” Officer Dicky Carreker of the Gordon Police Department told the Herald-Gazette.

Carreker’s wife posted Barley’s story on a community Facebook page, and that’s when things really started to change for the student.

Not only does Barley now have a place to stay—the motel owner and a local resident, Casey Blaney, have paid for his stay through Monday, when the college will allow him to move into the dorms early—but he also now has a job at a local pizza joint and has been showered with gifts from strangers, including a new bike, clothes, and school supplies.

Blaney also started a Success for Fred Facebook page and GoFundMe page, which has already raised more than $36,000. “More important than everything—the clothes, the shoes—the relationships mean so much more to me,” Barley tells WSB.

Barley thanked those who have helped and supported him since his story has gained nationwide attention in a heartfelt and emotional video, which can be viewed below.

Woman Happy

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wonderful Story About a Homeless Student and the Police

So nice to see a "feel good" story.  Reading this made my day!

Esteemed Contributor

I liked the story too!  The community's outpouring of help is so heartwarming...for a young who wanted to help himself.

Esteemed Contributor

That's wonderful!

Thanks for posting this!
Respected Contributor

Nice to get some good news for a change.  Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

This is what I love to hear about. Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

That is wonderful. What a dedicated kid, I am glad he is getting the help he needs that he will no doubt take advantage of. It is also wonderful hearing a nice story about police. I know the majority do nice things everyday and lately with all the negativity surrounding the police, it is nice to hear something positive they did. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Thank you for a ray of light!  Let's keep our eyes open for them.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

It's been a sad few weeks and this story is uplifting ..kindness in a large way.

Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom

Thanks for this uplifting story! 😊

Wish we had more of them here

but for some reason they don't get

much attention or replies.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••