Honored Contributor

Wonder What Happens to Gifts Given to the Royals?

[ Edited ]

Everywhere they go they're showered with bouquets of flowers, handwritten notes and gifts for their impending baby.

But what actually happens to the endless presents Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are given once they have been accepted?

In fact, there is a very detailed royal protocol that marks what happens to all the gifts and gestures from well wishers - and the Duke and Duchess do not hang on to the items for long.

After saying 'thank you' and carrying the items for several seconds, the Duke and Duchess pass the soft toys, flower, cards, bottles and jewellery to a member of their entourage.

Then, one of several things happens. 

The royal family's official gift policy states that they can accept and use gifts from individuals, provided they cost less than GBP £150 (AUD $276).

These gifts have to be flowers, foodstuff and other consumable items, as well as other items of small monetary value.

If gifts from individual people do not fall into these categories, they may be given back to the person, gifted to 'another body or organisation [who] might be able to make better use of them than the Member of the Royal Family' or treated as an 'official gift'.  

Gifts are defined as 'official when received during an official engagement or duty or in connection with the official role or duties of a Member of the Royal Family'. 

Some of the gifts the Duke and Duchess have received during their 'walkabouts' may well fall into this category.

Other gifts are donated to organisations or charities, or incorporated into Royal Collection displays.

Each year, the Royal Family releases a detailed list of every single gift that has been received, including details about who it came from, where it was given, what it was, and who it was for.

This means that nothing Prince Harry and Meghan Markle receive - be it organic carrots, Vegemite or a pasta necklace - is left unaccounted for. 

Previous years' bounties include hobby horses and stuffed animals for Prince George and Princess Charlotte, as well as a bottle of gin and an ice hockey jersey for Prince William. 

Already so far on the trip, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been gifted with all sorts of weird and wonderful items.

Highlights include a pasta and ribbon necklace made by Melbourne schoolboy, Gavin Hazelwood, organic carrots from baby food manufacturers, Nourishing Bubs, and a jar of Vegemite.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6292881/Royal-tour-Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-fan-gifts-t...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Wonder What Happens to Gifts Given to the Royals?

Thanks for sharing @KingstonsMom this was a very informative and detailed account of what happens to the gifts they receive.  I always wondered if they kept the gifts or donated to charity!  I can understand the policy of not receiving gifts above a certain dollar amount. 

Honored Contributor

I'd give all that loot to the poor. Silly, to be giving them anything in first place.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Like the royals would dare to eat any food that was given to them!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Understand the necessity of keeping an accurate record of each item received, but what a costly expense to the Monarchy for such well-meaning (but usually unused) items. If people realized how much time and efforts their trinkets and gifts entailed, wonder if they would rethink the entire gift-giving idea?

Seems kind of superficial in the realm of important issues to buy Royals gifts! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

Aside from gifts from people they know, they shouldn't accept any of it, due to security reasons.

Honored Contributor

Charity is “becoming.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I wonder if they will keep those cute little Ugg boots they just received in Australia, those were so cute!!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It would be nice for items the royals can’t keep be donated.  

I think Meghan should be able to keep all homemade items I.e. pasta necklace.

Honored Contributor

Can’t help but think of all those lovely gifts of gems and jewelry in the Tower of London.  Guess they are gifts from other heads of state and have their own rules.

I have a great friend, gemologist, designer, metallurgist, designer who works with them.  Poor guy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras