Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Wonder What Happens To All the Flooded Cars?

I don't know but I would be very leery of buying a car, new or used, in the near future after these storms.

Honored Contributor

get sold on the cheap at car auctions. Resold to folks who can't afford bank loans or have cash. 'Lemons'.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh how true - - I know first hand.   Helped friends with downpayment on preowned vehicle - like $2K.  This van looked perfect and ran very well and female owner just loved the it........until State Police knocked on their door.  This van had traveled more in 6 months than you do in 5 years - went from state to state and finally landed at a dubious dealer in their hometown - and put on the lot for sale.  Mileage had been changed - perhaps the VIN number messed with - this couple had to turn it over as evidence or whatever.  This dealer is STILL in business and just got nailed for running used oil (change) through a garden hose and down a hill behind his car lot.  BUT - he is still in operation.  This happened following floods in KY area.

Respected Contributor

"... keep your eyes out for flood-repaired vehicles that will be showing up on the market shortly" really doesn't help people know how to spot those vehicles that fly under the reporting radar, mainly paid-off and uninsured or underinsured vehicles.

Some mention of Carfax or similar services that can provide an ownership history of the vehicle would be helpful. Relying on a Carfax produced by the seller is unwise, since there are stories of them being altered.

I wouldn't buy a vehicle that had lived in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, or other flood-affected states, or the southwestern states, because of the sun and heat damage. I'd also steer clear of coastal locations because of saltwater, and would be cautious buying a car that had lived in a state that brines the roads in winter, which corrodes the undercarriage, or at least have a meticulous pre-purchase inspection by my mechanic.

I'm sure there are other issues that would send up red flags, but those are the ones I know that make Carfax a good investment.

Honored Contributor

I would think a good mechanic could do a though check of a car  prior to purchase and see if it was a flood vehicle or not.

Honored Contributor

Wasn't there a thread about this?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Before we knew anything about Sandy, we had planned to buy a new car around Black Friday that year.

Needless to say, we did not.

Honored Contributor

The VIN will tell you where the car has been even if it had been in another state.

You have to do your homework.  I agree if using Carfax do it on your own; do not accept a report from a seller.

Also I believe the bulk of these cars go to scrap for parts. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I would think a good mechanic could do a though check of a car  prior to purchase and see if it was a flood vehicle or not.

it isnt always that easy to determine.

a bunch of these cars with minor flooding issues will most likely end up at the wholesale dealer auctions and selling very cheaply. they will then get put onto a used car lot and sold.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein