Honored Contributor

Re: Wonder What Happens To All the Flooded Cars?

@noodleann wrote:

"... keep your eyes out for flood-repaired vehicles that will be showing up on the market shortly" really doesn't help people know how to spot those vehicles that fly under the reporting radar, mainly paid-off and uninsured or underinsured vehicles.

Some mention of Carfax or similar services that can provide an ownership history of the vehicle would be helpful. Relying on a Carfax produced by the seller is unwise, since there are stories of them being altered.

I wouldn't buy a vehicle that had lived in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, or other flood-affected states, or the southwestern states, because of the sun and heat damage. I'd also steer clear of coastal locations because of saltwater, and would be cautious buying a car that had lived in a state that brines the roads in winter, which corrodes the undercarriage, or at least have a meticulous pre-purchase inspection by my mechanic.

I'm sure there are other issues that would send up red flags, but those are the ones I know that make Carfax a good investment.

Looks like you'll be hoofing it everybody uses rock salt in winter LOL

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

The VIN will tell you where the car has been even if it had been in another state.

You have to do your homework.  I agree if using Carfax do it on your own; do not accept a report from a seller.

Also I believe the bulk of these cars go to scrap for parts. 

You would be surprised......

Honored Contributor

Re-sold and not told they were flooded.

Honored Contributor

Louisiana's law are very lax on car titles

If a car was salvaged or totaled after Katrina, a dealer could still get a "clean" title.

Maybe TX has better laws.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure alot of the places that claim that they can get eveyone a car ...even if you have bad credit....sell them..

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

"... keep your eyes out for flood-repaired vehicles that will be showing up on the market shortly" really doesn't help people know how to spot those vehicles that fly under the reporting radar, mainly paid-off and uninsured or underinsured vehicles.

Some mention of Carfax or similar services that can provide an ownership history of the vehicle would be helpful. Relying on a Carfax produced by the seller is unwise, since there are stories of them being altered.

I wouldn't buy a vehicle that had lived in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, or other flood-affected states, or the southwestern states, because of the sun and heat damage. I'd also steer clear of coastal locations because of saltwater, and would be cautious buying a car that had lived in a state that brines the roads in winter, which corrodes the undercarriage, or at least have a meticulous pre-purchase inspection by my mechanic.

I'm sure there are other issues that would send up red flags, but those are the ones I know that make Carfax a good investment.

Looks like you'll be hoofing it everybody uses rock salt in winter LOL

Brining isn't exactly the same thing. They pretreat the roads with what becomes a corrosive soup for cars. My car was the fourth vehicle in as many months that my mechanic declared unfit for use/unsafe after my state switched to brining, and he'd never seen corrosion like that before. The state denies it, of course, and it does cut down on accidents, which is a plus. But if you have a lightweight budget car, you may be told your car won't pass inspection and it can't be fixed because of where it's rusted. So I bought a heavy tank of a car with worse MPG, but it's brine-proof.