Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Ladies, I just thought you might find these latest findings interesting.  I guess not.  I did.  I believe women can serve but should do as well as men in the same test.  There are many men who can sling a wounded soldier over their  shoulders. My DH had brain matter and blood all over his uniform.....he should know.  Many men can do this.  I feel each man has the right to the best back-up he can get.  I never said "no woman" could do that...but...it is my opinion that many couldn't.  Those that can't could be used elsewhere.  I stand on that.

I doubt anyone disagrees with that.  For men or women.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

Oh goody a bunch of older women on a shopping board discussing women in combat who probably have never served a day in their life. Let the games begin.....

**************   Were a hoot aren't we??!!!

Respected Contributor

It will take a lot of convincing for me to support women integrating into the elite teams. I am close friends with women Marines, LEO and firefighters and I 100% support them. But I draw the line with participation in elite teams.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Ladies, I just thought you might find these latest findings interesting.  I guess not.  I did.  I believe women can serve but should do as well as men in the same test.  There are many men who can sling a wounded soldier over their  shoulders. My DH had brain matter and blood all over his uniform.....he should know.  Many men can do this.  I feel each man has the right to the best back-up he can get.  I never said "no woman" could do that...but...it is my opinion that many couldn't.  Those that can't could be used elsewhere.  I stand on that.

I don't know how old you and DH are or how you came to even have such a conversation.  Obviously, you don't like the idea of women in combat roles.  But like it or not, it isn't 1965 anymore.  Women in military service aren't going to tolerate being relegated to office clerk roles.  No one believes that any woman is "less" than any man just because of her gender.  If a woman can pass the requirements for any role in the military service......she should NOT be excluded based on antiquated ideas of what women can and can't do.  This isn't about you DH and his experiences.  That's irrevelevant.  I think the recent stories of women passing the Special Forces and Seal training have frightened some people.  Where most of us read those stories and shout "You go, girl !!!!".  It makes us so proud.  Others read those same stories and feel threatened.  I suppose they feel that if women can stand toe to toe with men, it somehow diminishes the men.  That's just so wrong and so sad.     

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

As far as I got (it would have helped if there was paragraph spacing) left me with one major question in regard to the findings of the Marine Corp study--did they factor in the psychological impact on the mixed teams of anti-female in combat roles resentment. 

Were the males subconsciously (or consciously) underperforming to skew the results to reduce the chance that females would be allowed in all combat positions?

****Hi Marp,  It was an NPR News Washington press release today (I think).  I think a congressman was on TV talking about it a little while ago but I missed a lot of it.  I will try to find the article.  This may take awhile

Honored Contributor

"The men who have served alongside and shoulder-to-shoulder with women this past decade of war frequently seem far less fazed than the American public by the idea of roles opening to women."

Myths About Women In Combat

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2015/05/12/3-myths-about-american-women-in-combat/

Frequent Contributor

I can think of many men who couldn't handle the requirements for combat and some women who could.  It's not about your gender -- it's about your physical and mental strength.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I don't know how old you and DH are or how you came to even have such a conversation.  Obviously, you don't like the idea of women in combat roles.  But like it or not, it isn't 1965 anymore.  Women in military service aren't going to tolerate being relegated to office clerk roles.  No one believes that any woman is "less" than any man just because of her gender.  If a woman can pass the requirements for any role in the military service......she should NOT be excluded based on antiquated ideas of what women can and can't do.  This isn't about you DH and his experiences.  That's irrevelevant.  I think the recent stories of women passing the Special Forces and Seal training have frightened some people.  Where most of us read those stories and shout "You go, girl !!!!".  It makes us so proud.  Others read those same stories and feel threatened.  I suppose they feel that if women can stand toe to toe with men, it somehow diminishes the men.  That's just so wrong and so sad.     

**********You know Crystaltree...I actually think you are the one that feels threatened.  I think I am every bit as good and smart as a man so I am not threatened by this at all....or offended.  To me it is simply a matter of men (on the whole) being physically stronger than many women are.  If you think that is sad.....well...that's your privilege.

Honored Contributor

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/10/439246978/marine-corps-release-results-of- /

I went back into my history and found the location of the article.

Honored Contributor

Women have fought in combat in America throughout history

Women have been flying combat missions for years now, and as most of us know, that's where the action usually is.

Probably a lot here don't know that during WW2, those who excelled in sniper kills were women.  Russian women.  They also excelled at air combat duty.  Feel free to look up the Russian women night fliers.