Honored Contributor

TWO WOMEN JUST BECAME NAVY SEALS.

THEY PASSED THE EXACT SAME TESTS THE MEN HAD.

If they want to do that and pass as those women did, they should have the right.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

My own thoughts on this are....If there was a battle and my son and/or grandson was wounded, I would want the person who is watching his back to be able to sling him over their shoulders and "quickly" carry him to safety. 

My DH and I have had discussions on this over the years and I feel he has insight into what goes on.  He has been in situations of having to ward off another man trying to kill him in hand to hand combat.     Could most women overtake a man and do that?  Also when seriously wounded themselves, could a woman toss a 6ft. 180 lb. man over her shoulders and run? 

This isn't WWII, so a lot of the strength and stamina standards don't really apply to wars as the are now.  I have nothing against women in combat and I think some women are cable of meeting the standards as the exist.  If a woman meets the standards required for combat duty, she should not be ruled out just because she has uterus.  And I don't believe the standards should be modified to accommodate women.  But I'm pretty sure there are heck of lot of men in combat roles who can't carry a 180lb man on their shoulders and run; wounded on not.  Should we round them up and toss them out now....?

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

My own thoughts on this are....If there was a battle and my son and/or grandson was wounded, I would want the person who is watching his back to be able to sling him over their shoulders and "quickly" carry him to safety. 

My DH and I have had discussions on this over the years and I feel he has insight into what goes on.  He has been in situations of having to ward off another man trying to kill him in hand to hand combat.     Could most women overtake a man and do that?  Also when seriously wounded themselves, could a woman toss a 6ft. 180 lb. man over her shoulders and run? 

I doubt most men could do that.  Apparently the two women who are Navy SEALS did.

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

Oh goody a bunch of older women on a shopping board discussing women in combat who probably have never served a day in their life. Let the games begin.....

Oh, stop it!  You just made me laugh and spit my mini Snickers all over my desk...lol 

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I doubt most men could do that.  Apparently the two women who are Navy SEALS did.

Mind you nobody questions when Men fail to perform this task.

Honored Contributor

Oh, and also, there are now women who passed all requirements as Army Rangers.

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

Oh goody a bunch of older women on a shopping board discussing women in combat who probably have never served a day in their life. Let the games begin.....

Tell that to the Army and the Navy.  They've already had women pass THE EXACT SAME TEST for the Rangers and the SEALS.

Some of us stay up with the times Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I do agree that women should be able to function as well as the men in combat, but since there is no height or weight requirement for either sex how can you judge. If it takes a team of giants to effectively fight and save your fellow soldiers, then that's who should be in those combat positions.

Honored Contributor

@baker wrote:

I do agree that women should be able to function as well as the men in combat, but since there is no height or weight requirement for either sex how can you judge. If it takes a team of giants to effectively fight and save your fellow soldiers, then that's who should be in those combat positions.

They judge them every day in combat training.  It's tough and they have to carry heavy packs all the time as they train.

Obviously they know how each person responds, that's what it's all about.  You either perform and pass or you're out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Women in combat

[ Edited ]

Ladies, I just thought you might find these latest findings interesting.  I guess not.  I did.  I believe women can serve but should do as well as men in the same test.  There are many men who can sling a wounded soldier over their  shoulders. My DH had brain matter and blood all over his uniform.....he should know.  Many men can do this.  I feel each man has the right to the best back-up he can get.  I never said "no woman" could do that...but...it is my opinion that many couldn't.  Those that can't could be used elsewhere.  I stand on that.