Respected Contributor

Re: Woman scammed for $51, 000

[ Edited ]

This isn't a scam but still could have devastating results.   We have Comcast as our provider for phone, internet and television.  The other day we were looking at their account page and noticed that they are giving military members, active, retired or even just having served in one the four branches of the service a check for $25.00 as a thank you for serving courtesy

Of course with my husband having been in the service he was ready to jump on that offer.  You had to fill out the online application and then fax or mail a copy of your DD214 to verify your service.  Of course, that little document contains very important information including your social security number.  

I immediately stopped him and said you do realize that you are sending this information to a third party server not to Comcast.  Is $25.00 that important that you are willing to take a chance with some unknown person having that information.  

That stopped him in his tracks and he immediately said you are right, what was I thinking.  He's far from being a dumb man but coming from Comcast it sounded like such a nice thing to offer our veterans and since we get a military discount from the big box stores and other local stores he thought it first sounded good.  The difference is the military discount that we receive from other stores only require that they take a quick look at your military ID to verify.  The clerks barely glance at it.  None of that information is recorded anywhere.

Comcast offering a check to our veterans sounds like such a nice thought until you realize how much information you are giving that could fall into the wrong hands and be used for identity theft.

I am so cautious of everything that I always second guess anything that offers rebates, credits, or some free thing that they offer just for being you.

Respected Contributor

Elderly people become scared and often trust what someone says. They are not stupid. . This is just a pathetic situation and so sad that the woman was scammed.  

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

Comcast offering a check to our veterans sounds like such a nice thought until you realize how much information you are giving that could fall into the wrong hands and be used for identity theft.

I am so cautious of everything that I always second guess anything that offers rebates, credits, or some free thing that they offer just for being you.

@J Town Girl 

You are so right.  I do the same thing too.  Most times I find that whatever rewards they are offering aren't worth the amount of personal information of mine they require.

Honored Contributor

I don't have an ounce of sympathy for her, I don't think I even believe

her.  $51k to repair a computer???? That alone would make anyone laugh and hang up and $51k in gift cards.  

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Some people live their cul de sac life in their La Z Boy and never want to experience anything else. They do as they are told with no questions.

It had to have taken her days or weeks to access that kind of cash and buy those cards. Most have a small upper limit.

Very true.  That's what makes me suspicious of her story also she owns a computer so she knows no computer costs that kind of money and she had the money to buy a new one.

Respected Contributor

Along the same lines of fragile people being taken advantage of, my friends's mom was old, lonely and losing her senses. She shopped QVC and HSN all day. Her house was full of unopened boxes. She bought multiple hoses and had no yard. Lots of useless stuff.  The family asked QVC and HSN multiple times to cut her off. They said no.

Respected Contributor

I also find it hard to feel sorry for these people. Warnings about these scams have been going on for decades. Churches have warnings, elderly care facilities have warnings, televised PSA’s, any organization you can think of have warnings of these scams. When you ignore the warnings it is hard to feel sorry for them.
Esteemed Contributor

Two months ago, I got an email from the geek squad telling me I owed 2000+ to them.  I never used them and just deleted the email.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy .... $51k for computer repairs .... just astounding.

Respected Contributor

I can understand how someone can be taken in by these scammers especially a person who lives alone or who is elderly, confused, easily frightened or a young person  who has a mental condition and not able to think reasonably. I know a woman in her 40's who fell for the scam about there being a warrant out for her arrest and to clear her name she must purchase a large amount of gift cards and turn them over to the caller or her parents would be in grave danger.  She left her job as soon as she received the call and purchased several thousand dollars of gift cards. I cannot remember how she turned them over to the scammers.  How anyone could possibly think that a legitimate law enforcement agent would call a person on the phone and demand gift cards to clear her name or else harm her parents is beyond me.

Inability to reason and question something that is seemingly unbelievable is what catches these people. It is sad but very hard to stop these scams when there are innocent victims out there for the taking.