Honored Contributor

Re: Woman scammed for $51, 000

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Goodie2shoes 

She did repair her computer for $400+ and the next day received a called from the "Geek Squad" telling her she was due a refund.  Since the call came from the repair shop (or so she thought) she thought the call was legit.

She hesitated but gave her bank info so that the refund could be deposited.

Then she was told a mistake was made and had to send gift cards to give the $$ back. 

The $51,000 was not all gift cards; there were wire transfers for cash, too.

At least she came forward to warn others and I would think Geek Squad and the repair shop would want to know how somebody was able to obtain that info, too.

Unless it was an employee, this repair shop was obviously hacked, too.

current scam outlined on youtube  

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Who sold her $51k in gift cards?

This scam has been going on for many years and all major stores are on the look out for excessive gift card buying.

A woman I know bought $1k in gift cards at the local grocery store.  When she came back for another $1k the manager stopped her and told her she was being scammed.

Have to agree.  My parents friends went to send money via Western Union.  The conversation with the teller seemed off so she suggested calling police to check it out for them.  It was a scam....   Places seem to be looking out for the elderly and these scams.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

It happens every day.   An old high school pal of mine recently bought 100 IBM typewriters for $5 each.   He rented a storage unit to keep them in, until he could sell them.    He "thought" he could make about $50,000.     

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

If she is savvy enough to use a computer it is hard to understand why she fell for this scam. I can't believe that anyone would think gift cards are a legitimate form of bill paying. And one post said

some of the money paid was with money wires. This is not easy to do. 

I just bought a $50 Amazon gift card in a store last week and I had to sign that I was not under pressure to purchase this. And this was for $50. 

Honored Contributor

We don't know the woman's intellectual or mental status. 

We also don't have details on what the scammer said to the woman.

She's elderly so I would give her a break on being so judgemental.

I take care of my 90 yr old dad. I've talked to him til I'm blue in the face to hang up on scam calls. It took a couple of years but he now hangs up on all of them. 

Now that I'm close to 70, I am recognize that my body and my quick thinking is a tiny bit slower than it used to be. My phone has a scam alert on it and I just ignore those calls then block. I'm very active and do a lot to keep my brain functioning but age eventually affects everyone if we live long enough.

Esteemed Contributor

The scammers are so good at what they do they can talk any age into doing this. I have seen it first hand many times.They use all different tactics to get what they want. By the time people realize what they have done it is too late, and they are embarrassed. 

Don't be so quick to judge. 

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft  do we know if they asked for all that money at one time or was this an ongoing scam?

she would have had to be deep into dementia not to recognize a scam of that magnitude if they started with that number

Esteemed Contributor

I feel so sorry for the elderly who can't reason very well and get caught in these scams.  How can those scammers live with themselves.  It is positive that they have no conscience.

I feel so blessed that I am still able to reason and be logical.  Thank God!!

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

The scammers are so good at what they do they can talk any age into doing this. I have seen it first hand many times.They use all different tactics to get what they want. By the time people realize what they have done it is too late, and they are embarrassed. 

Don't be so quick to judge. 

I agree with this. While we all work or worked, and manage our finances as intelligently as we are able, "scammers" "earn" their livings by investing their time in ways to cheat the ignorant/innocent.

If "scammers" out their enthusiasm and creativity into honest education and occupations, they could probably live comfortably on their honesty.

The old motto "Cheaters NEVER prosper" isn't such a good fit in these times.

Honored Contributor

@Pook   scammers do.   They sell the cards to others at a discount.  Easy to do when they have no money of their own involved.