Esteemed Contributor

Woman killed at gender reveal party.

I didn't see this yesterday.  A 56 yr. old woman, a grandmother, was killed when debris from an explosion hit her in the head during a gender reveal party.  She was 45 ft. away.

Evidently gunpowder was put in a container, a hole was drilled for the fuse. Wood with the blue/pink substance went on top.  Trying to picture what they did. However, whatever they did  they accidently created a pipe bomb.

I know it's an happy time and just cutting a cake or opening a box with colored balloons isn't very exciting, however gunpowder, fuse and party don't belong in the same sentence.

I feel very bad for the family. What should have been a happy occasion turned into a tragedy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Woman killed at gender reveal party.

When I saw this on the news, I was not surprised.  The news also showed many gender parties where folks were killed or seriously injured.  One actually caused a major forest fire resulting in millions of dollars in damages. 

Another, a car blew up, killing everyone inside.

At the end of the video, the commentaor said "keep it simple" and/or do it the old fashion way. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

How awful.  Whoever made this bomb will have to live with that for the rest of his/her life.

I think these gender reveal parties are nonsense anyway. 

And, I might add, that we just found out yesterday that our newest grand baby is a boy to add to his 16 month sister!  No party required.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Apparently the family made the pipe bomb hoping to create a social media sensation.  Unfortunately, grandma paid the price.

Esteemed Contributor

A nephew on DH's side is expecting with his wife.  They are not finding out the s*x of the baby.  

They are doing the nursery in neutral colors and want to be surprised.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Apparently the family made the pipe bomb hoping to create a social media sensation.  UnfoIrtunately, grandma paid the price.

I had seen that they were doing this to put on social media. How many people are gonna end up dead trying to get attention on social media?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

How awful.  Whoever made this bomb will have to live with that for the rest of his/her life.

I think these gender reveal parties are nonsense anyway. 

And, I might add, that we just found out yesterday that our newest grand baby is a boy to add to his 16 month sister!  No party required.

I so agree with you @Puppy Lips .  When they were sweet little surprises like cutting the cake to reveal boy or girl, I thought, 'oh, that's so nice!"  But now people have to out-do the other and try to make everything spectacularly Instagram-worthy.  Most are obnoxious and ridiculous, IMO.  Sadly, this one was deadly; horrible.   Keep it meaningful, yet simple seems lost these days. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Apparently the family made the pipe bomb hoping to create a social media sensation.  Unfortunately, grandma paid the price.

@ValuSkr 

Social media strikes again (no pun intended) as people crave some "claim to fame"....... So now the family will have to live with this guilt for the rest of their lives....SAD! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

My gender reveal party was the day that I gave birth.

Seems like so many have to try and outdo everyone else's party

and to post and get the notoriety and likes.

Honored Contributor

I saw that, it's heart breaking.  While I feel sorry for her family, I think the ignorant jack axx's who rigged that contraption up should be arressted for negligent homicide or something that can send them jail or a few years.  It was accident but a very predictable one.  Who in their right mind would do such a dangerous thing?  I worry for the world my little grandchildren will have to live in.  It seems like people are losing their minds over foolishness.  A cake and some balloons wasn't good enough for them?  They needed an explosion with gun powder?