Honored Contributor

Woman admitted she lied on the stand

The woman that accused Emmett Till, of  improper conduct , admitted she lied on the stand. I wish it would have happened ,when his mother was alive to hear it

This case has always struck a special chord with me, because ,Emmett and I have a common denominator.  I won't say what it is, other than it's not race

I'm glad the truth is finally out.  It was a terrible crime against humanity.  I think it's a shame, it's probably too late, to charge her with perjury

ww.cbsnews.com/news/the-blood-of-emmett-till-carolyn-bryant-lied-timothy-tyson-new-book/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CBSNewsEarlyShow+(The+Early+Show%3A+CBSNews.com)&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results

Honored Contributor

Re: Woman admitted she lied on the stand

[ Edited ]

This makes me sad for so many reasons @cherry, but the world knew that she was a LIAR all along! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I believe that in the state of California, the statute is four years upon discovery of the perjury.

I'm guessing that it will be different for each state.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2  this happened 62 years ago, in Miss, I believe. The link doesn't work for some reason.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Plaid Pants2  this happened 62 years ago, in Miss, I believe. The link doesn't work for some reason.

There were only 2 w's in your link. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-blood-of-emmett-till-carolyn-bryant-lied-timothy-tyson-new-book/?utm...

Esteemed Contributor

I've looked at photos of this child's badly beaten body and It brings me to tears that supposed humans can act like wild animals based on one persons accusation. 

I have no word for her that  I can express here.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

My guess as to why she is telling the truth now, is that she is old, possibly dying, and wants a clear conscience before she passes.

She is confessing her sins before she dies.

Was what she did horrible?

Yes, without question, but then again, look at the times that we were living in 60+ years ago.

Civil rights was just getting started, I mean, this case remindes me of the movie "To Kill A Mockingbird", where a black man was falsely accused of raping a white woman.

So, yes, what she did was horrible then, and it is still horrible today, I'm not saying that it wasn't.

I'm just trying to understand the "Why" of it all.

I may not always agree with the "Why", but I do try to understand it.

Also, I don't like to jump on the "this-person-is-rotten!" bandwagon, without looking at the situation from all possible angles first.

Honored Contributor

To think that this happened not too long ago and that US citizens don't know about it has me shaking my head. An INNOCENT young man was brutally murdered because of a LIE!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I read about this deadly tragedy. I suppose it's better that the woman finally admitted she lied, but it's way too late to save that poor kid who was assassinated, not executed.

Honored Contributor

I read another article that said she is worried about going to heaven.  She said she had tender sympathy for his mother, but said nothing ,about how she felt , about what was done to Emmett