Honored Contributor

Re: Woman admitted she lied on the stand

People involved in the death of Emmett Till, one way or another, are still alive.

If the courts don't get them, the devil will.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

People involved in the death of Emmett Till, one way or another, are still alive.

@Noel7, I wonder if they've read the admission and more importantly...even care?

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

And as far as the Liar goes she should worry about where she's going! Has she apologised or does she feel remorse? It appears she's only concerned with herself!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The woman that accused Emmett Till, of  improper conduct , admitted she lied on the stand. I wish it would have happened ,when his mother was alive to hear it

This case has always struck a special chord with me, because ,Emmett and I have a common denominator.  I won't say what it is, other than it's not race

I'm glad the truth is finally out.  It was a terrible crime against humanity.  I think it's a shame, it's probably too late, to charge her with perjury

ww.cbsnews.com/news/the-blood-of-emmett-till-carolyn-bryant-lied-timothy-tyson-new-book/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CBSNewsEarlyShow+(The+Early+Show%3A+CBSNews.com)&utm_content=Yahoo+Search+Results

My daughter did a paper on this when she was in high school, I was horrified & saddened by what was done to him. I too wish that she could be charged with something, but it won't undo what happened or bring him back.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7, I wonder if they've read the admission and more importantly...even care?

@MyGirlsMom

I suspect that ultimately they don't care, except to worry about their own skin.

Either that, or they've already convinced themselves the elderly woman got soft in the head along the way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

I've looked at photos of this child's badly beaten body and It brings me to tears that supposed humans can act like wild animals based on one persons accusation. 

I have no word for her that  I can express here.

It has always been my experience that it is very difficult to convince people of a certain age how dreadful such situations were in the '50's and '60's.

As a very minor example, the Lewes Ferry, between NJ and Delaware, had "marked" lavatories and drinking fountains at least into 1965 or so. 

In the case of Emmett Till, he had come for a visit from Chicago, which was a relatively enlightened northern city, to the Deep South, and it was suggested that his "inappropriate" conduct was a result of his lack of familiarity with expectations that were not part of his home culture.

His mother arranged for him to be buried in a casket with a glass lid, so that the character of the assault on his body could be observed by those whottended the funeral.

Harrowing. 

Honored Contributor

JaneMarple wrote:

Noel7 wrote:

And as far as the Liar goes she should worry about where she's going! Has she apologised or does she feel remorse? It appears she's only concerned with herself!

It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach that the ONLY reason she finally told the truth is for her own vile, selfish reasons.    From what I read, that was her motivation. period.   I didn't read anything about any apology, just about her wanting to relieve herself of this lie.  The rest of what I have to say cannot be said here.  Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

The mills of justice grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly small

Esteemed Contributor

There are crimes and acts of violence we will never have answers to unfortunately.  

Yes, I believe she and all the other will get their just reward.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach that the ONLY reason she finally told the truth is for her own vile, selfish reasons.    From what I read, that was her motivation. period.   I didn't read anything about any apology, just about her wanting to relieve herself of this lie.  The rest of what I have to say cannot be said here.  Smiley Mad

It goes hand in hand with believing that you will go to hell when you die if you don't confess and repent and nowhere does it say repentance has to be public. You can't separate the actions from the motivation and the beliefs that inspire them IMO.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval