Esteemed Contributor

Something huge went by the house very early this morning.  We are close to the road and the whole house was vibrating.

Both cats freaked out. They decided there is safety in numbers and  both made a beeline for the closet. By the time I got to the front window I could hear machinery down the hill but didn't see anything.

Couple hours later back it comes, stufff on shelves  in the kitchen were bouncing around.

A gigantic machine is tearing up the road and a big roller thingy following behind.  Now there is not an inch of asphalt on our road, just dirt and stones, both lanes. No clue how long it will take to repave it.  It will be great when it's done, but geez, give some warning.

Valued Contributor

Re: Woke Up To House Vibrating

Oh they didn't warn you? They did that to our street with warning. Maybe they will clear a path for you to drive on hopefully.

Esteemed Contributor

@gtx   Nope, had no idea of roadwork until I got jarred awake this am.

I think you can drive on it but it is not going to be a pleasant ride.  Might be like riding in a buckboard. I hope my fillings are good and secure.  A mile down the road I can veer off on another rode and avoid this all the way to the highway.

The cats stood with eyes like dinner plates looking between the closet and the couch (they hide under it sometimes).  Where do we go?  We need to hide, quick.

Honored Contributor

I stepped outside this .morning about 7am to the sight of about 20 hot air balloons above and just South of my house in a beautiful, cloudless sky.  I don't know what the occasion was as we usually see that Saturday or Sunday mornings.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   I love to watch them. Don't like heights, especially not in a basket dangling under an open flame, so going up in one is out.

Years ago one went right over the house.  DH and I went out on the porch.  They were directly above us so we saw right up into it.  The pilot waved to us.  That thing was low.  We gathered it was going to land in a field close by.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Something huge went by the house very early this morning.  We are close to the road and the whole house was vibrating.

Both cats freaked out. They decided there is safety in numbers and  both made a beeline for the closet. By the time I got to the front window I could hear machinery down the hill but didn't see anything.

Couple hours later back it comes, stufff on shelves  in the kitchen were bouncing around.

A gigantic machine is tearing up the road and a big roller thingy following behind.  Now there is not an inch of asphalt on our road, just dirt and stones, both lanes. No clue how long it will take to repave it.  It will be great when it's done, but geez, give some warning.

We get a lot of military fly overs.  The papers will tell us sometimes when it's going to happen and sometimes they don't.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset   Your mention of planes reminded me of the passenger plane that scared the you know what out of my daughter.

1981 she was 11 and it was during the air controller strike, I believe.

We lived very near town and we heard a plane really, really low.  She ran to the sliding glass doors and screamed, "Mom".  I looked out and instead of seeing the highway, fields and the hill across the way, all you saw was azz end of passenger plane. We watched it fly over the hill on the other side of the road. There was not a lot of sky between the bottom of that fuselage and the tops of the trees.

The closet airport to handle a plane that big was 40 miles away,

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Your mention of planes reminded me of the passenger plane that scared the you know what out of my daughter.

1981 she was 11 and it was during the air controller strike, I believe.

We lived very near town and we heard a plane really, really low.  She ran to the sliding glass doors and screamed, "Mom".  I looked out and instead of seeing the highway, fields and the hill across the way, all you saw was azz end of passenger plane. We watched it fly over the hill on the other side of the road. There was not a lot of sky between the bottom of that fuselage and the tops of the trees.

The closet airport to handle a plane that big was 40 miles away,

OMG.  I would have been on the internet or phone complaining.  I complain now because it seems sometimes they route planes over my area more than they should on certain days.  One right after the other.  We are less than 20 miles from an International Airport.  I complain and complain.  

When I first moved in my home years ago there was no overhead airplane noise.  I asked them people at the Port Authority if they had changed the Flight Path while they were doing some work on another area Airport and they don't me no.  Like I believe that!

Loud.  I know that must have scared you and your daughter.  Did it land safely @CrazyKittyLvr2 ?

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset   I assume it was okay because there was no report of crashes.

I can only imagine being a passenger on that plane or driving down the highway under that plane.

I thought for sure it would land in a field or fly into the hill across the way.

Yes, it was scary.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset   I assume it was okay because there was no report of crashes.

I can only imagine being a passenger on that plane or driving down the highway under that plane.

I thought for sure it would land in a field or fly into the hill across the way.

Yes, it was scary.  

At least that's good to hear that no one was in danger.