Esteemed Contributor

Re: With the big storm moving through much of the east.....

@60sgirl wrote:

got me to thinking, everytime they predict massive storms of any kind whether it's snow, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods....

people do go out and clean out store shelves not just to prepare for a few days but it seems weeks and weeks. Then in 90% of the cases, the storms do not pan out as massive as predicted.

I wonder if anyone has stocked up and found out later they now have bunches of stuff they didn't need. Being prepared is smart but sometimes seeing the way people stock up you'd think they were planning to live in an underground bunker for months.

Years ago there was a massive blackout due to something on the power grid, can't remember, it was around the mid 2000's maybe, without power for 5 days. It was pretty bad but I don't remember having stockpiles of stuff, the worse part was once it got dark there wasn't much to do except go to bed, no tvc, no radio, no internet, nothing. But we still had water so toileting and bathing were fine.

I see people saying they are getting lots of water, can I ask why? if your power goes out, what do you need jugs of water for? I don't understand that. 

Answering for myself when I don't have power I don't have running water.  The majority of people on wells are in the same situation. I fill Tidy Cat jugs with water for flushing and small clean ups but use bottled water for drinking and cooking.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

I see people saying they are getting lots of water, can I ask why? if your power goes out, what do you need jugs of water for? I don't understand that. 

@60sgirl

We had a hurricane once that knocked out power to the water treatment plant so we didn't have water for almost a week.  If we hadn't already had an emergency supply of water I don't know what we would've done.  The stores shelves were wiped out immediately.  There was no water to be found anywhere  I realized then just how vulnerable and fragile things could get very quickly.    

Trusted Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@60sgirl

We had a hurricane once that knocked out power to the water treatment plant so we didn't have water for almost a week.  If we hadn't already had an emergency supply of water on hand I don't know what we would've done.  The stores shelves were wiped out immediately.  There was no water to be found anywhere  I realized then just how vulnerable and fragile things could get very quickly.    

with 2 feet of snow I wonder if it could be boiled down for water? Just sayin. At least the pets could drink it, they go outside and drink out of puddles all the time. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

got me to thinking, everytime they predict massive storms of any kind whether it's snow, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods....

people do go out and clean out store shelves not just to prepare for a few days but it seems weeks and weeks. Then in 90% of the cases, the storms do not pan out as massive as predicted.

I wonder if anyone has stocked up and found out later they now have bunches of stuff they didn't need. Being prepared is smart but sometimes seeing the way people stock up you'd think they were planning to live in an underground bunker for months.

Years ago there was a massive blackout due to something on the power grid, can't remember, it was around the mid 2000's maybe, without power for 5 days. It was pretty bad but I don't remember having stockpiles of stuff, the worse part was once it got dark there wasn't much to do except go to bed, no tvc, no radio, no internet, nothing. But we still had water so toileting and bathing were fine.

Many of us are on wells, and without power, the pump doesn't run (unless you have a generator). And even on city water systems, if pipes freeze, no water. If the pumping stations don't have power or some other kind of a failure, no water.

You can live for many many days without food, but only a few days without water. And drinking is only part of the problem. If you don't have enough water to tend to hygiene and sanitary needs, disease will spread rapidly.

@60sgirl

Honored Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@cotton4me wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@60sgirl

We had a hurricane once that knocked out power to the water treatment plant so we didn't have water for almost a week.  If we hadn't already had an emergency supply of water on hand I don't know what we would've done.  The stores shelves were wiped out immediately.  There was no water to be found anywhere  I realized then just how vulnerable and fragile things could get very quickly.    

with 2 feet of snow I wonder if it could be boiled down for water? Just sayin. At least the pets could drink it, they go outside and drink out of puddles all the time. 

Absolutely melted snow is great for washing and pets. I know many people willl drink that as well, others say to purify first.

Respected Contributor

NOT a good idea to drink snow water.  Healrth officials have been warning us in the DC area not to let children or anyone else eat the snow, because it is contaminated with pollutants.

My Mom, a native Minnesotan, used to make a sort of snow/ice cream concoction in an ice tray.  The air was a lot cleaner in our area back in those days, however.

Trusted Contributor

I have to say I never knew about the well water issue. I had no idea you needed electrical power to get your water. I am clueless about that. Eyes wide open.eyes.png

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

NOT a good idea to drink snow water.  Healrth officials have been warning us in the DC area not to let children or anyone else eat the snow, because it is contaminated with pollutants.

My Mom, a native Minnesotan, used to make a sort of snow/ice cream concoction in an ice tray.  The air was a lot cleaner in our area back in those days, however.

yeah, but I think boiling it would solve that problem. People living off the grid in places like Alaska melt snow and boil it. I saw that on a couple of those shows.

Esteemed Contributor

We had food as we shopped Tuesday (our regular shopping day) and we always have extra bread in the freezer and extra food and bottled water and other drinks on hand and that includes cat food.

Our all wheel drive car has a full tank of gas and is in garage.

Snow blower checked and full of gas.

Cellphone charged and tablet charged.

Plenty of our medications are on hand (Im always ahead there).

I also did the laundry today and ran the dishwasher.

I have all the flameless candles and flashlights out and nearby.

I also got blankets out if we lose power/heat.

Also have some cash on hand in case the power is still out after we can get out in case the ATM doesn't work nearby.

We do not have a generator and I wish we did. (Our in laws have one in the Poconos ever since they were stuck in their house for a week during the snow storm of 1996) So that no generator issue for us does concern me with this big storm this wk end!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles