Esteemed Contributor

Re: With all this talk of Thanksgiving food...

IMG_4436.JPG

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

@mousiegirl, ah yes.  My most passionate Christmas AND Thanksgiving food memory-- plum pudding.  We called it "Christmas pudding", and it was always doused with my mother's caramel sauce (not a hard sauce-- it never had any spirits in it.)

Living in Ontario, plum pudding was often hauled out for the holidays.  Were you there, or in th Maritiimes or Quebec?  Comparing Canadian Thanksgiving to U.S., I'm always struck by the fact that here in the states there is much more emphasis on pumpkin pie.  Or maybe I'm imagining that.  Maybe it was just my Canadian family that was so plum-pudding-centric, ha.  If we had pie as well, it was more likely to be apple, I think.

When I lived in Lousiana, sweet potato pie loomed very large for me, yum.

Hubby, who grew up in Chicago, practically belongs in a pumpkin cult... 

@Oznell  I have relatives living in Ontario, many generations.  My Mother's family settled one town in Canada and at one time, almost every mailbox had her last name.  I havn't been back there for decades.

My Mother never served pumpkin pie, it was always mincemeat and maybe apple too, can't remember, but always mincemeat.  The only reason pumpkin pie ever entered my home was due to DH who loves it.  I have made  few, but just buy them now.

I can still see my Mother bringing the plum pudding on a pedestal cake plate to the table flaming away, lol, she was so proud of it. Smiley Happy

She came to the US in her twenties, the only one of her family who ever left Canada.  Every so many years, as a child, we would fly there, and once, if you can believe it, my Mother drove us to Eastern Canada over narrow mountain roads, I wouldn't do it, alone with just her daughter, me, brave and adventurous woman she was, not I, lol.

Are you fond of the meat pies with the chili sauce on the side?  I remember my Aunt going to the huge market place and bringing the pork pies back for our lunch,.  I didn't like them then, but I might now.

@Oznell@mousiegirl. My mom, born and raised in Colorado, made a steamed date-nut pudding with a hard sauce.  She also canned chili sauce every summer which we ate with roast beef.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, you are making me hungry!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl, I forgot to answer your question-- I don't think I've had meat pies with chili on the side...  is that something you remember from your forays north of the border?

Trusted Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

And by the way, DROOL!

What do you eat, in the morning, the day after Thanksgiving?

My thing is a small sandwich. Like a quarter Sammy. 5 seed bread, or potato is good too. Butter on bread. Pieces of leftover dark meat. Lettuce and a piece of cheese. Salt and pepper. 

Don’t GET in my way the morning after!

DH likes an everything sandwich for lunch. Bread, shingle ...he doesn’t care. Turkey, cranberry sauce, yams, gravy, all of it. 

Noooo. Nope. 

I've scaled down our Thanksgiving menu the past few years, so that I don't make as much food. So, we don't have a lot in the way of leftovers anymore.

We usually have a normal breakfast of what we would usually eat, and then have a leftover turkey dinner, later the next day after Thanksgiving.

My husband likes the usual turkey dinner leftovers reheated for dinner, so that's what I end up doing with them. Smiley Happy

Sometimes I'll make a pot of turkey veggie soup with them, and sometimes I'll just reheat them as-is, which is more than likely what I'll do this year, as I plan on making a pot of chicken and veggie soup this week. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@mousiegirl, I forgot to answer your question-- I don't think I've had meat pies with chili on the side...  is that something you remember from your forays north of the border?

@Oznell  In Eastern Canada, meat pies were it, and a red sauce was served on the side as a condiment, I think the pies were made or pork or a mixture of meats, like a little pot pie.  People bought them at the huge market in town, too much trouble to cook I guess, also cold cuts at every lunch it seemed, so much humidity guess that was all anyone could cope with, lol.

savoury christmas lunch

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

@mousiegirl, ah yes.  My most passionate Christmas AND Thanksgiving food memory-- plum pudding.  We called it "Christmas pudding", and it was always doused with my mother's caramel sauce (not a hard sauce-- it never had any spirits in it.)

Living in Ontario, plum pudding was often hauled out for the holidays.  Were you there, or in th Maritiimes or Quebec?  Comparing Canadian Thanksgiving to U.S., I'm always struck by the fact that here in the states there is much more emphasis on pumpkin pie.  Or maybe I'm imagining that.  Maybe it was just my Canadian family that was so plum-pudding-centric, ha.  If we had pie as well, it was more likely to be apple, I think.

When I lived in Lousiana, sweet potato pie loomed very large for me, yum.

Hubby, who grew up in Chicago, practically belongs in a pumpkin cult... 

@Oznell  I have relatives living in Ontario, many generations.  My Mother's family settled one town in Canada and at one time, almost every mailbox had her last name.  I havn't been back there for decades.

My Mother never served pumpkin pie, it was always mincemeat and maybe apple too, can't remember, but always mincemeat.  The only reason pumpkin pie ever entered my home was due to DH who loves it.  I have made  few, but just buy them now.

I can still see my Mother bringing the plum pudding on a pedestal cake plate to the table flaming away, lol, she was so proud of it. Smiley Happy

She came to the US in her twenties, the only one of her family who ever left Canada.  Every so many years, as a child, we would fly there, and once, if you can believe it, my Mother drove us to Eastern Canada over narrow mountain roads, I wouldn't do it, alone with just her daughter, me, brave and adventurous woman she was, not I, lol.

Are you fond of the meat pies with the chili sauce on the side?  I remember my Aunt going to the huge market place and bringing the pork pies back for our lunch,.  I didn't like them then, but I might now.

@Oznell@mousiegirl. My mom, born and raised in Colorado, made a steamed date-nut pudding with a hard sauce.  She also canned chili sauce every summer which we ate with roast beef.

@Kachina624  Sounds yummy.  I don't know if dates were in my Mother's plum pudding, but she made date desserts, and I still love dates, especially date bars. Smiley Happy

I once made a chocolate cake with a date filling, so good..