Respected Contributor

Re: With School Closures Who Watches The Kids?

@Mj12 wrote:

DC has set up "lunch centers" throughout the city where all kids can pick up lunch during the closings.

So what is the point of closing the schools?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've been told to be on standby to provide e-learning lessons for our students if/when schools close.  Closing might happen sometime next week.  Some

expectations: 

• I'll be online from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday to answer any questions from students and parents.  
  • I'll prepare 30-45 minutes of activities for my middle school students to complete for my classes each day. (I found this interesting since my class on a regular school day is 60 minutes long.) This will include an instructional video and an activity.  We also have a discussion forum platform sort of like here in Q community where I can post questions and students can respond.  (High school teachers will prepare 50-60 minutes of activities each day for each class.  The elementary teachers will also schedule activities, but I'm not sure how many/how long.)
  • Even elective teachers like PE, band, art, etc., have been told to post online activities.

So, if/when schools close around here, all parents have to do is put their kids on the internet, and virtual teachers will be there to keep them busy.  It will be interesting to see how many students participate each day.  I have three students who don't have internet access at home, so I'll be providing books and packets of things to do.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

DC has set up "lunch centers" throughout the city where all kids can pick up lunch during the closings.

Far less people congregating at one location.  A few parents picking up a lunch from a couple of staffers is different than hundreds of kids in one school.

Honored Contributor

Home schooling is a great thing in times like this.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

Far less people congregating at one location.  A few parents picking up a lunch from a couple of staffers is different than hundreds of kids in one school.

The fact that you even have to explain this show the lack of critical thinking skills being utilized. It is very sad and discouraging.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

The parents already have plans in place for spring break, teacher workdays, and bad weather.  Hopefully, that arrangement will work out for this period.

THat's what I was thinking - also - summer when schools are out 2 or more months.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Parents will have to go into "snow day mode" on an extended basis now. I think employers can be in legal trouble now if they penalize a person for staying home with their children if schools are closed. Many grandparents are in the high-risk group so they may not be in a position to help.

i just read that the virus can live for three hours on plastic surfaces....that means an awful lot of places.

There is no such thing as snow day mode in Arizona. What do you do with them in the summer, Spring break, Christmas break? Same thing applies I would think. 

Respected Contributor

The team I manage is going to an A/B schedule this week. We’ll alternate being in the office and working from home. My people with young kids are going to help each other out. One of my neighbors has a grade schooler who will stay with my teenager once a week.

People in my area seem to be helping each other out and making it work. We all have to be part of the village.
Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

I know it's cliche but "it takes a village..."

Maybe parents, families, friends and neighbors need to rally together and figure out how to make it happen. If each parent takes a day of vacation one day a week to watch a group of children it seems as if it could be a solution to the problem.

While I hate the "it takes a village" mentality, you may have a solution.  I don't want neighbors or the schools "raising" my child, but this is day care we are talking about.  I think it is a good idea if you know enough people to organize this. Maybe churches could offer up a temporary day care.

The next thing is - do you trust your child with the people that they would be left with?

I am glad I don't have to worry about this anymore.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My niece is out tomorrow and I will be watching her. And if her school ends up closing for longer than that, I will watch her some and my sister will take her to work with her some also. We've already discussed it.

My parents could. But as I have already posted a million other places here, we are trying to keep them from catching this, and seeing as how you can have it and be asymptomatic, sis and I are just taking precautions.