Honored Contributor

Re: With School Closures Who Watches The Kids?

Our schools in the whole state will be closed for 3 weeks starting today.  As soon as I heard this, I anticipated trouble.  I know teens and adolescents will be unsupervised with nothing to do.  I suspect younger children will also be left alone or under the care of older siblings.  We know what the devil does with idle hands.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Our schools in the whole state will be closed for 3 weeks starting today.  As soon as I heard this, I anticipated trouble.  I know teens and adolescents will be unsupervised with nothing to do.  I suspect younger children will also be left alone or under the care of older siblings.  We know what the devil does with idle hands.

They're all going to go on our lawns and Juul. Woman Surprised

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

DC has set up "lunch centers" throughout the city where all kids can pick up lunch during the closings.

@Mj12   Several big hospitals and agencies have volunteered to supply meals here in NM.  It's a shame parents can't feed their own kids.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

To imagine that kids are going to sequester themselves at home is foolish.  If they're all out roaming around, seems like that will in increase the spread of that virus and every other cold, flu, etc.  Although now so many entities are also closing ... who knows?  It's all insane.  

Trusted Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Go back to the old way of raising your own children....one parent stays home. The topic question of this post really is kind-of an oxymoron. Woman Surprised

@ID2  Please tell me you were just being sarcastic and not serious. I'm thankful that my daughter is now 17 and I don't have little ones around anymore, or I'd be sol as a single mom since they've shut down schools here too. I cannot even imagine what some moms/dads are going thru right now. Especially the ones who like me are paycheck to paycheck, they simply cannot afford to just stay home. 

I could go on an on, but I'll stop there b/c I'm hoping you were just being sarcastic. 

We all need to stick together in a time like this. I really hope everyone starts to realize that soon enough. We ALL have to do our part(s). The government also has to do theirs and help citizens out who cannot help themselves. 

Perhaps people should take into consideration their income before having children

Trusted Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

all K-12 public schools here in RI are closed next week.....

Yes, but our stupid governor suggests all day care facilities stay open. So, close schools but let them band together in daycare. Nothing wrong there!

Valued Contributor

Seems like on the State or County level they could work out something where employees of closed schools could help provide child care. Maybe even some of the older high school or even college students? 

I guess it would depend on who is going to pay for it....just thinking out loud here. I'm sure E/R employees and other hospital employees will also need help with their child care situations.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

all K-12 public schools here in RI are closed next week.....

Yes, but our stupid governor suggests all day care facilities stay open. So, close schools but let them band together in daycare. Nothing wrong there!

@willomenia, you're right: There is nothing wrong with that. Most families have working adults in the house. Not all such workers can stay home. The children need a place where they are safe and supervised.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Two posters so far have the answer: People should have thought about this before having children.

Unbelievable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Getting snarky with other poster's opinions is why there is not a lot of participation on the boards. Look how many views compared to responses and they are mostly repeat posters. My main view with those in charge is they are darn if they do, darn if they don't.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.