Honored Contributor

Re: With School Closures Who Watches The Kids?

@nevergivesup wrote:

This is a very serious problem. I heard yesterday that in NYC there are 114,000  homeless students and the meal they get at school is their only dependable food. The implications for their physical safety, not to mention the emotional and psychological effects of being deprived of the only stability they have in their fragile lives, is very sad if their schools are closed. I wouldn’t want to be a state or local official who has to weigh all this.

Yes indeed. Some people need to think beyond the comfort zone of their own very comfortable lives. There are homeless students, students from single parent families,  students with parents who live paycheck to paycheck.

It's one thing to have plans in place for any short term school closures. This is an entirely different situation. What if school ends up being closed for the rest of the school year? What if people rely on grandparents and they're afraid their children could be carrying the virus and infect their elderly parent? What if the elderly parents get sick with something else and can no longer watch the kids? What if they rely on day care and day programs and they shut down? The what ifs are endless.

So easy to judge and think there's an easy answer when you're not in the situation.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Valued Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Go back to the old way of raising your own children....one parent stays home. The topic question of this post really is kind-of an oxymoron. Woman Surprised

@ID2  Please tell me you were just being sarcastic and not serious. I'm thankful that my daughter is now 17 and I don't have little ones around anymore, or I'd be sol as a single mom since they've shut down schools here too. I cannot even imagine what some moms/dads are going thru right now. Especially the ones who like me are paycheck to paycheck, they simply cannot afford to just stay home. 

I could go on an on, but I'll stop there b/c I'm hoping you were just being sarcastic. 

We all need to stick together in a time like this. I really hope everyone starts to realize that soon enough. We ALL have to do our part(s). The government also has to do theirs and help citizens out who cannot help themselves. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

Desperate times...desperate measures.We are going to have to accept the unheavel for awhile to slow this down for the greater good..other countries are doing the same.

Esteemed Contributor

I would think you probably would do with them the same thing you do with them during summer, spring break, Christmas and the other dozen or so times they get off during the year. 

Honored Contributor

It's a good question.  With the usual spring breaks, Christmas holiday, etc. parents have advance knowledge and can usually take off to be with their kids.  With these school closings there is no advance warning (other than a day or two).

Lots of single parents also.  And quite a few single parent members of the military who I assume will have to take leave to stay home with their kids if other arrangements can't be made on such short notice.  Many live across the country (or world) from any family.

As for why doesn't one parent stay home all the time - it's not 1950 out there. 

Esteemed Contributor

My job told us if there is someone at home with it, the employee should stay home, don't come to work.

Honored Contributor

I would think for older grand parents this might not be a good idea, what bothers me is how many school systems  have to figure out how to make sure kids have food.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

That's something that should have been thought about and figured out before the decision to have children was made...

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

That's something that should have been thought about and figured out before the decision to have children was made...

Unfortunately a persons circumstances may change as you live your life i.e. divorce, death, illness. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I see issues with closures here in Florida. Yes, the schools are closing, most till mid April. And Disney/Universal are closing. But all other tourist venues are open...... other theme parks and beaches. Clearwater Beach is packed elbow to elbow with snowbirds and spring breakers. Will they close and forfeit all the tourist dollars?  Doubt it.  Also, the teens are all at the malls. Why aren't malls closing, and those mega churches, and entertainment venues? Beginning tomorrow there is a huge arts & crafts festival opening a couple miles from me, 300 vendors and thousands of people. They have no plans to close unless they do so in next 12 hours. Closing schools seems so selective. My adult children still have to go to work with no childcare available.