Respected Contributor

Re: With School Closures Who Watches The Kids?

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

That's something that should have been thought about and figured out before the decision to have children was made...

Unfortunately a persons circumstances may change as you live your life i.e. divorce, death, illness. 

This.

Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest  I heard that the young are getting ill, but for most it's very mild....more like a regular cold. 

For the schools to stay open they have to have adult teachers and staff present and unfortunately they don't all seem to be having the same luck with only contracting a mild illness.

After all this is over/settled down I do hope they study why the majority of the very young do not seem to be as affected by this. That's very different than how the flu behaves; seems like we always here it is most dangerous for the very young and elderly (as well as those with ongoing health issues). I guess that is one piece of good news, that the really young generally seem  to recover from this well. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

all K-12 public schools here in RI are closed next week.....

Respected Contributor

One thing that no one has pointed out is what happens in a small business when an employee stays home either due to sickness or child care.    My last job was in a very small veterinary clinic with only three employees besides the doctor.

My two co-workers both had small children.  If they were to stay home I would be forced to do their jobs along with mine.  It would be impossible for me do the work of three people.   Our doctor couldn't just bring someone in from off of the streets and expect that they were qualified to handle the job.    

I don't know what the solution is for small businesses other than shutting the doors until this crisis is over.  

I am so happy that my husband and I are retired.  My heart really goes out to those still in the work force.   I would not want to have to be facing what many couples are now being forced to deal with.   

Honored Contributor

Just to add - the DC lunch stations are for ALL students who need/want one - not just those who participate in the program.

Capture.PNG

Trusted Contributor

Those that can will do what I and all I personally know are doing:

1) Asking if we can work remotely

2) Using your sick leave/vacation/personal days.

3) Going into back-up plan mode.

In my household, DH will be going remote shortly. I can not. He has more paid time off than I do. So, he is going to take his time off starting Monday as our schools will be closed and stay home till his remote site takes over. I will continue to go in. If I am told we are closing down, then...I'll be home as well. Will I receive pay? Probably not but that may change. I know that some friends who are single parents have a had a back-up plan ever since they became a parent; you have to. But things change and well, I don't know what those who truly are alone and friendless will do...especially if their employer isn't able to work with them on this situation.

Not going to become political other than to say that this even shows how desperately we need SOME kind of a safety net regarding health and social care. Maybe it will change....maybe it won't. The need is pretty ****** obvious though; at least to me (and I work in the healthcare industry).

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Our society is simply not prepared for such a shift as we're seeing right now. I hope this pandemic with help promote changes in the future. And no, I'm not talking about going back to the 1950s, for goodness' sake.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Just announced school closing in South Florida. MiamiDade, Broward, and Palm Beah counties.

Breakfast and lunch will be provided at satellite schools.

In Broward, childcare will be available for first responders, police, medical personnel.Teachers must report.

In MiamiDade laptops provided for those in need. And internet services.

Glad I retired from teaching in June. But, I am a grandmother of 3 so will be in duty!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

That's something that should have been thought about and figured out before the decision to have children was made...

Hahahahahahaha. That is funny on so many levels.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Go back to the old way of raising your own children....one parent stays home. The topic question of this post really is kind-of an oxymoron. Woman Surprised

-----

Wow, if only it were that simple.