Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wish I was in California today

@hckynut wrote:

@qualitygal 

Beautiful weather here the last few days. As for California? Not a place that I ever plan on being.

hckynut

Have you ever visited CA?   I lived there for forty years and loved every minute until the high cost of living got to be too high and we moved to AZ.  The best time in AZ is the winter, after that well, what can I say?   Where is the place you said there is beautiful weather the last few days? 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Mgggg1 

I'm in southern Calif and have ONE wardrobe!!! When it gets a little colder - like yesterday - I put on a pullover sweater. 

I know a few single women who rent out a room or two in their homes --- so the mortgage becomes very affordable. You could rent out a room for $700+ - especially if u live in a nice area. The rents in a newer apt building in my area start at over $1,500/mo. (plus utilities) for a 1 bedroom. It's called Supply & Demand. 

When I arrived in southern Calif. in 1966 (from NY) - rent in a nice apt building was $100-- $150/mo. That's when Calif. was NOT crowded. Almost every building had a sign "Vacancy."

I'm 78 yrs old now - and I once told a friend that if I stayed in New York, I'd be homeless. He said, NO - you'd be in a shelter. Growing up in New York, you had to have money to survive (my parents had little - and they got divorced). My mom and I moved to Calif. and we managed to buy a townhome in 1974 for $33,500 - 3 bedroom, 1-1/2 bath in Reseda (San Fernando Valley). From there, I owned other homes and am now very happily settled in a beautiful house in north Oxnard. I survived all the years with very little money and all by myself.

Our time frame was almost the same.  I left NY in 1965 heading for Los Angeles.  Bought a house, 3 bdrm, 2 bath with pool in Northridge, $16,000.  In 1977 bought a 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage 2,000 sq ft townhouse in Chatsworth for $27,000, sold it in 1987 for $206,000.  Visited Oxnard often, had a friend who lived there also from NY.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

I've lived in so. California for 25 years. I live several miles east of L.A. in the desert. The heat in summer gets unbearable. We've had days on end over 100 degrees. The older I get, the harder it gets to take the heat. (The ants are awful too). The rest of the year isn't bad, but hot weather lasts from June to most of Nov. I always look forward to Jan. and Feb. because finally we get rain and cooler weather

Respected Contributor

I lived in Northern Calif years ago and it wasn't great, high taxes tons of traffic housing expensive, that was long time ago can't even imagine what it is like now. I did look up my old address (over 50yrs old house now) 3 bed 2 bath not a fancy house saw it sold for $600,000 What???? I can't afford to move back and would never do it. Now I live in Az. cheaper taxes, traffic is a mess during winter times due to snowbirds ( people coming in to rent or own a house to get out of the snow but they leave before the heat starts) I remember had a friend that said Cailf is NY just with palm trees. LOL yes go to Calif but bring a ton of money and you will be fine. 

Honored Contributor

I did write in a previous post that I like California. I’ve only been there on vacation. Have never lived there. I enjoy visiting other states and have lived in other states but not by choice. I would never live anywhere but the Northeast.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

It was 99° in Phoenix yesterday.........

@Desertdi   And I bet you're ecstatic.   Too hot, too early.

that is cold for Phoenix.  I goes up to 121F easily.  Eventually people will no longer be able to live there. Door knobs will burn your fingers.  You huddle in Air conditioning in your house.  Then you have run agonizing feet to your air conditioned car, run more agonizing feet to your are condition store.  Then you have make a returned trip.  Nobody outside in high summer.  The crater of Phoenix is the only bad part of Arizona. Flagstaff is gorgeous.  I loved being there in the summer. It does get cold there at night though.   Andit's snowy in the winter.  But Phoenix gives the entire state of Arizona a bad name.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

that is cold for Phoenix.  I goes up to 121F easily.  Eventually people will no longer be able to live there. Door knobs will burn your fingers.  You huddle in Air conditioning in your house.  Then you have run agonizing feet to your air conditioned car, run more agonizing feet to your are condition store.  Then you have make a returned trip.  Nobody outside in high summer.  The crater of Phoenix is the only bad part of Arizona. Flagstaff is gorgeous.  I loved being there in the summer. It does get cold there at night though.   Andit's snowy in the winter.  But Phoenix gives the entire state of Arizona a bad name.

Have you ever lived in the Phoenix area @songbird ?

I've been here since 1974. Most of what you said is just plain wrong. 

We are an active, outdoors type of people, even in the summer.  Your body does become acclimated to higher heat. No, you don't go for a run at noon in the summer, but I don't think Florida people or Midwestern people do either. 

We don't "huddle in the airconditioning".  We wear shoes when we go outside...what a concept!

Summer is a time for gathering outside at swimming pools and barbecues.  Taking a walk in the gorgeous earl mornings and watching  the stars during the soft summer nights.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

Yes I  have visited California. My wife has 3 cousins that lived there most of their younger lives. They all have since moved to other states, for multitudes of different reasons. The COL was 1 of those reasons along with too much demographic changes for them where they lived.

That place? Nebraska and 2 of her cousins have recently moved back here from CA and bought homes. As for me, I prefer multi-seasonal weather! I mean ice hockey is my thing as it weather more suited to the hockey mood.

Ya'll can keep the people dense places on both coasts, I  prefer fewer people and more empty land in our Midwest state AKA "flyovers".

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

We are an active, outdoors type of people, even in the summer.  Your body does become acclimated to higher heat. No, you don't go for a run at noon in the summer, but I don't think Florida people or Midwestern people do either. 

We don't "huddle in the airconditioning".  We wear shoes when we go outside...what a concept!

Summer is a time for gathering outside at swimming pools and barbecues.  Taking a walk in the gorgeous earl mornings and watching  the stars during the soft summer nights.

I've been Phoenix in July and I was miserable.  The rest of Arizona is not not at all like that.  And yes, they warned me about doorknobs.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I've been Phoenix in July and I was miserable.  The rest of Arizona is not not at all like that.  And yes, they warned me about doorknobs.

That's what I thought.  😁😁😁