Honored Contributor

Re: Wish I was in California today

Anything over 80 is too hot for me. I’ll never understand people who like heat. No thank you.
Honored Contributor

Weather wise, California is as close as you can get to paradise.  Not Florida.  It looks like a gigantic suburbs with alligators, thunderstorms and endless puddles of water with endless insects.  Hawaii with gorgeous scenery and endless rain water or insects. 

But California!  I grew up there and still miss it.  In the entire world there are two strips of land that is wonderful to live.  California and bottom strip of Australia.  Both have the same kind of wonderful sunny weather.  Oh they both have earthquakes and fires, but the weather....noting like it.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@qualitygal 

Funny, what I liked about (Northern) California was the rain and fog.

Left in '95 and moved to New Mexico.  If you really like sunny... come on down.

@just bee. @qualitygal.   Amen!   And no smog, earthquakes, traffic gridlock, hoards of people.  Just clear blue, cloudless skies most of the time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It was 99° in Phoenix yesterday.........

@Desertdi   And I bet you're ecstatic.   Too hot, too early.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We are taxed to death and pay high fees for this 'n that to be able view the beautiful scenery and blue skies here in colorful Colorado...and I absolutely love it here.

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

As long as it's like the day, we visited many years ago.  Warm and sunny.

I's been cloudy too long many days lately for me.

@qualitygal 

I'm with you, love California. ☀️ sun and ocean. We're  having a lousy cold rain pre-Easter day today in Michigan 👎🏼

Makes sense that the majority of rich ppl that can afford to live there, choose California to call home. 

only the rich rich can afford insurance and taxes there LOL I got a internet friend who lives there and she can't afford her prescriptions says the pharmacies are out of this world. She orders from another country. Same meds, but, lots cheaper.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@qualitygal 

Funny, what I liked about (Northern) California was the rain and fog.

Left in '95 and moved to New Mexico.  If you really like sunny... come on down.

@just bee. @qualitygal.   Amen!   And no smog, earthquakes, traffic gridlock, hoards of people.  Just clear blue, cloudless skies most of the time.

@Kachina624 

In Albuquerque, it's 280 sunny days a year. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 

You couldn't get me out of Southern Calif - expecially since I grew up in NYC/Brooklyn. I live in north Oxnard - and I call this area "Paradise." Temperature is 50 to 80 degrees - with a mild breeze - all year long. Right now it's 63 degrees and cloudy. It's still "Paradise."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 

I love California as well.  My family has been here since before California was a state!

we have earthquakes now and then, but to me no different that major snow storms, tornados, hurricanes, or hail the size of golf balls.  I could not live with humidity that some do.  I hate the humidity.  We have days like that once or twice a year, and it is worse that 110 degree days to me.

where I live in California weather is hot in summer, cool in winter.  No snow..  But I can travel to snow in 2 hrs if I want.  I am 30 minutes from beach, 1.5 hr from San Francisco, a few minutes from the mountains...lakes all around.  Life is good.  But yes, as everyone has mentioned it os expensive to rent or buy a home!  I am lucky I bought my home 35 years ago.  I wouldnt want to buy my own home back!  My first home I bought in San Jose in 1967 for 15,000.... Furniture included!!!  It was 960 sq ft home, slab floor.  Today that home sells for 2.1 million.  And it is right off an expressway.  Good Lord!,,

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I love California as well.  My family has been here since before California was a state!

we have earthquakes now and then, but to me no different that major snow storms, tornados, hurricanes, or hail the size of golf balls.  I could not live with humidity that some do.  I hate the humidity.  We have days like that once or twice a year, and it is worse that 110 degree days to me.

where I live in California weather is hot in summer, cool in winter.  No snow..  But I can travel to snow in 2 hrs if I want.  I am 30 minutes from beach, 1.5 hr from San Francisco, a few minutes from the mountains...lakes all around.  Life is good.  But yes, as everyone has mentioned it os expensive to rent or buy a home!  I am lucky I bought my home 35 years ago.  I wouldnt want to buy my own home back!  My first home I bought in San Jose in 1967 for 15,000.... Furniture included!!!  It was 960 sq ft home, slab floor.  Today that home sells for 2.1 million.  And it is right off an expressway.  Good Lord!,,

@shoekitty, I hear you on everything. I'm native and lived on the west side growing up, the San Fernando Valley during my suburban mother phrase, and now am so grateful to live at the beach. Can't believe your family goes back to before statehood. That is unusual for a state in which people are in awe if you were born here. :-)

I lived through several earthquakes. Nobody likes them. But those of any consequence are not a yearly phenomenon...far from it. I'm fairly old now, and I vividly recall only two.

Haha...$15,000 for a house in San Jose in the sixties. We bought our valley home in 1975 for $50,000, which was a very big stretch for us. It was 1500 square feet. We sold it in 2004 for almost $600,000 -- during the boon before the bust.

Today, what we have going on in California is an increasing divide between the haves and have-nots in terms of housing and other issues. Contrary to popular belief, companies with high-price employees love California because it offers so much to their moneyed people.

This in turn edges out those in the lower- and much of the middle-class. Cities and the state feel this tension whenever they come up with some answers to address this problem.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland