Honored Contributor

Re: Wish I was in California today

We lived in the Phoenix outskirts before.  Great warmth, very low humidity.  That would be a 2nd choice. Just that the other day, California memories of that visit, came back. 

Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer 

Thank You!!! I've been through a lot -- almost being homeless at least 5 times; surviving stage 3 ovarian cancer in 2006; spending 5 days in the hospital in 2011 for diverticulitis -- and last month I spent 6 days in the hospital for a bowel blockage (from scar tissue). I even drove myself to the hospital and back home. YES -- I see everything with humor --- and I bounce back very quickly. I once told a friend that I have 8 lives - and I have 7 left.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma 

Yes I  have visited California. My wife has 3 cousins that lived there most of their younger lives. They all have since moved to other states, for multitudes of different reasons. The COL was 1 of those reasons along with too much demographic changes for them where they lived.

That place? Nebraska and 2 of her cousins have recently moved back here from CA and bought homes. As for me, I prefer multi-seasonal weather! I mean ice hockey is my thing as it weather more suited to the hockey mood.

Ya'll can keep the people dense places on both coasts, I  prefer fewer people and more empty land in our Midwest state AKA "flyovers".

hckynut

@hckynut, what did they mean by "too much demographic changes"?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Guess I'm in the minority. No way would I live in California, too congested, poor air quality, mudslides, wild fires, earthquakes. 

Too many govenment regulations.

I would still be in Minnesota if it wasn't for the long winters. I have no problem with the cold, just got tired of dealing with snow.

@deeva, it's funny to see "poor air quality" followed by "too many government regulations."

The truth is that at least in the Los Angeles area, the air quality is tons better than in previous times. I remember in the late 1950s having to come inside from playing because of the smog.

But thankfully and due to the  dreaded regulations, we are much better off and always trying to improve, again with the help of regulations.

Everything's a trade-off and up to personal likes or dislikes. I have fortunately never been affected by a mudslide or wildfires undoubtedly due to where I have lived. So for me, I'm unnerved by the disasters that occur on a regular basis in other states.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Long thread...I’ve scanned it and will likely add a comment or two after I’ve read more.  As often happens with a thread like this, many people who are unfamiliar with an area, or who have only visited perhaps one city in a state as big as CA, chime in and post a lot of assumptions and/or untruths. 

CA is a big state.  There isn’t heavy traffic everywhere.  There aren’t  air quality isssues everywhere.  Some areas are more affordable than others.  And many areas do have four seasons and cold, as well as warm, weather.  

I’ve lived here for over 30 years, and will be moving on before the end of this year, due to personal and family issues. I know I’ll miss it a lot, as some of you ex-CA posters have stated.  

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

Long thread...I’ve scanned it and will likely add a comment or two after I’ve read more.  As often happens with a thread like this, many people who are unfamiliar with an area, or who have only visited perhaps one city in a state as big as CA, chime in and post a lot of assumptions and/or untruths. 

CA is a big state.  There isn’t heavy traffic everywhere.  There aren’t  air quality isssues everywhere.  Some areas are more affordable than others.  And many areas do have four seasons and cold, as well as warm, weather.  

I’ve lived here for over 30 years, and will be moving on before the end of this year, due to personal and family issues. I know I’ll miss it a lot, as some of you ex-CA posters have stated.  

@september wrote:

I'm sorry you have to leave CA after so many years and I have no doubt you will miss it.  After forty years in Los Angeles, (San Fernando Valley) we moved to AZ and I was terribly home sick for a very long time.  Been here for about 14 years and still miss many things about CA.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

@catwhisperer 

Thank You!!! I've been through a lot -- almost being homeless at least 5 times; surviving stage 3 ovarian cancer in 2006; spending 5 days in the hospital in 2011 for diverticulitis. I told a friend that I have 8 lives - and I have 7 left.

@kivah 

You have certainly been through lot and I can relate to the health issue problems, not the same type, but the deadly type. I like that you added "humor" in your post as I believe it does play a role in facing life's serious problems we all have along the way.

Like you, I have told many friends, and just acquaintances, I  must have been given 9 lives, because using my count, I have used up 8 of them.

Please stay well now,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I am sure there are some beautiful places in California and if my children lived there, I would be selling the house tomorrow to live near them.

New York and the tri-state area has been my home for most of my life. I live near my children and that means actually more to me than climate or anything else for that matter.