Honored Contributor

Re: Wish I was in California today

I love Michigan, bu,,I don't mind the cold. I don't feel there is any need to say things about other states ,because we choose to live in  a place, some might not want to

I have never been to Ca ,but, many people live there, and seem to love it, so it must have a lot to offer  to them

When I hear things about Ca, I always wonder how @Noel and @Moonchilde are doing. I miss them so much. Calif must be a nice place if they live there. I wish they were my neighbors

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan 

I just watched a tv show about John Ritter's life - and they interviewed several people who were on his shows, ie, Three's Company. Everyone loved working with him - and he always treated everyone fairly. He performed comedy to serious roles - with such ease. A born entertainer. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mgggg1 

I'm in southern Calif and have ONE wardrobe!!! When it gets a little colder - like yesterday - I put on a pullover sweater. 

I know a few single women who rent out a room or two in their homes --- so the mortgage becomes very affordable. You could rent out a room for $700+ - especially if u live in a nice area. The rents in a newer apt building in my area start at over $1,500/mo. (plus utilities) for a 1 bedroom. It's called Supply & Demand. 

When I arrived in southern Calif. in 1966 (from NY) - rent in a nice apt building was $100-- $150/mo. That's when Calif. was NOT crowded. Almost every building had a sign "Vacancy."

I'm 78 yrs old now - and I once told a friend that if I stayed in New York, I'd be homeless. He said, NO - you'd be in a shelter. Growing up in New York, you had to have money to survive (my parents had little - and they got divorced). My mom and I moved to Calif. and we managed to buy a townhome in 1974 for $33,500 - 3 bedroom, 1-1/2 bath in Reseda (San Fernando Valley). From there, I owned other homes and am now very happily settled in a beautiful house in north Oxnard. I survived all the years with very little money and all by myself.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Pqfan 

I just watched a tv show about John Ritter's life - and they interviewed several people who were on his shows, ie, Three's Company. Everyone loved working with him - and he always treated everyone fairly. He performed comedy to serious roles - with such ease. A born entertainer. 

He was amazing. ❤️

Respected Contributor

@kivah ....I always enjoy reading your posts. You have a lot of spunk and a positive attitude, and I really admire that. You go girl!

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

The last time I was in California there was an earthquake that started in the next town over.  I was on a plane back home the next morning & never looked back. Have not been back since.

I lived in CA for forty years and experienced a few of those earth shakers.  The last one was in 1994, a real nasty one.  We left 15 years ago and as much as I miss it, I don't miss the movers and shakers.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It was 99° in Phoenix yesterday.........

The winters are too short, now is when our electric bills start to climb.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

I've been to California many times and it has a huge variety of sites to visit.  However, it is a state plagued with serious issues: recovering from devastating fires and floods, immigration, housing costs, gasoline prices, the threat of the earthquakes predicted...we could never afford to live there because of the cost-of-living...fun place to visit though.

After living in SoCal for forty years the cost of living forced us to leave.  I miss it but even if I could afford it I doubt if I would go back and just keep the memories.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Born and raised in SoCal.Then came back after 25 years gone and stayed 15 years but are leaving next year when husband retires. We have done it all here as there are nice things about Cali but sadly the con list gets longer each day. We won’t be missed as there are plenty of people to replace us. It will be very interesting to see what happens to California in the future.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

image.gifhttps://media.giphy.com/media/WYO1whD0pRD0Y/giphy.gifI always wanted to live in California like Janet and Chrissy.😁It says they “lived” in Santa Monica.

Shoekitty said

i swear that looks like Venice Beach they are  walking through. Venice Beach used to be the low end during the 50's and 60's and 70's.  Artists mainly.  It is so beautiful now, with multimillion dollar lofts and homes lining the canal. 

Spending a day at Venice Beach was always so much fun, I do miss those days.