Respected Contributor

Wish I Could Have Done This Years Ago

[ Edited ]

Unlike many newer homes my master closet is relatively small. which has forced me to take a look at what I am really liking and what us taking up space. What I discovered is that what I don't wear are my impulse buys or sale items I just couldn't pass up at the store but seem to in my closet. I am ashamed at how I have wasted my hard earned money. No more! I cleaned out the mess and got rid of any shoes that were uncomfortable after the first hour, tops that were a smidge short or tight, half of my black pants (how many do I need!), purses that just collect dust, and other odd bits that hadn't been worn in years. I vow to do better! QVC is also making it easier as the prices are now $50 and up on the tops and pants I typically bought. The $ I gave to Goodwill yesterday would have paid for a plane ticket, a small piece of furniture, a nice chunk in my retirement fund, or a meaningful donation to church or charity. Next time I see a sale I will think about that first! Of course I will continue to purchase new items, but I plan to be wiser.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Wish I Could Have Done This Years Ago

Hi, SunValley -- Over in Fashion and maybe Beauty, I've seen threads about cutting down on purchases. I think one is called shopaholics -- might be good support for you Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

I congratulate you.  I think many of us are finding ourselves in your same situation and are now seeing the light.   

Respected Contributor

Thankfully I am not a shopaholic. I don't spend my days shopping. These were things collected over multiple years that I just pushed aside in my closet for various reasons and realised most of them were sale items. I just want to simplify my life and make good choices. My mid-year resolution! I thought this might ring a bell with some folks.

Honored Contributor

Oh, it does ring a bell with me, SV. I just thought you maybe didn't know there were other threads on this that you might enjoy. The shopaholic title is just in fun...I thinkSmiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Thanks tansy. It's nice to know how supportive folks can be and I took no offensive. I think as we get older it is easier to put our lives into perspective and I think that is where I am. I have made a lot of good choices too, but the lure of having stuff seems to lessen as I age, and I am happy about that.

Respected Contributor

Sunvalley I am not a shopaholic either.  Like you I have things (not clothes) purchased over the decades, and then things inherited after the passing my and DH parents.  Walking into my home people would think I live a minimalist lifestyle.  They would know differently if they open any closet or went into the attic or basement.  I keep donating and finding new homes for my stuff, but it doesn't seem like I am making a dent.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE your post!!! I came to the very same conclusion,myself, about 2 months ago when I decided to hoe out all the junk that has been accumulating in my whole house over the last 30 years. I would say that at least 1/2 of it was stuff that I thought I HAD to have and then never used. Most were still in their original boxes and not opened. What a huge waste of time and money and needed space as I have no extra storage in my house. Feels very cleansing, doesn't it. I stop to think about where will this item will live when not in use and if I can't see that, I don't buy it. I am all about re purposing what I have and it's amazing what I am putting to use now. Then the rest goes to donations. Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Absolutely.  You're not alone in having too much, in having spent more on "things" than you maybe should have, etc.

A few years ago, I put all my non-essential purchases on an end-of-year spread sheet so I could see where I was overspending or where I might need to add.  I also took a good look at my stashes of products and decided to use them down before buying new items in the categories where I had too much.

That was 3 years ago and I'm still using up and off-loading, but my closets and cabinets are so much easier to use now and I feel good that I'm using what I have instead of buying new.

One thing I'm doing different from you though is that I'm not deliberately shopping sales - at least for clothes.  I'm buying so much less (one top in the first 6 months of 2015 whereas before I might have bought 6 or more pretty much becasue they were on sale) that I can buy exactly what I want/need and still spend less than I was spending before.

I, too, wish I'd done this years ago, but here I am 15 years into retirement and still learning how to live.  It's never too late for this trip!   Good luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I have met a gal who is young enough to be my daughter and I have given her my things that I don't want or wear.  She is thankful to receive them as she isn't working at present.  Maybe you can find someone to give your things to as well.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust