Contributor

Re: Wish I Could Be Happy On My Birthday Today

Happy Birthday!! You and your mother are very blessed to have each other. I agree with the others; take some time for yourself and enjoy a cupcake, a movie, or something just for you!!
Honored Contributor

How about calling a friend and asking if she or he would like to come over for tea or coffee and cake?

You can pick one up at the grocery store.

Happy Birthday Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@angel8 wrote:

Hello Everyone! I turn the whopping 52 today, but struggle to be happy. The weather makes it impossible to do anything and I suppose watching my mother's health fail is dragging down my spirits. I've been caring for her for 20 years since my dad died and the last few years she has been in a facility. I spend a lot of time there to make sure her care is the best. I feel like I will be an orphan soon. As most women I give before I think about myself. I love her dearly and it's painful watching her decline. 

If you lovely people could send some kind words, it would truly make my day! Blessing to all!!! 

Happy Birthday, Angel8.  

You sound like me when I was taking care of my mom.  She's no longer with us, but in a better place. 

A lot of people go through this and it's hard, it's just a part of life. 

Hope these posts pick up your spirits and have a great day!  Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Bless you!

You have done so much for your family.   You should be proud of how you cared for your parents and have been an advocate for their care.

I'm going through a rough patch too and I know how sometimes you feel all alone.   It seems no one understands your circumstances.   

I watched both of my dear parents fight their illnesses and struggle so valiently the last years of their lives.   I was honored to be there for them, too.

It's not easy.   You are overwhelmed and tired and worried.  I know what you feel about one day losing both your parents and feeling like an orphan.   That's how I feel now, too.   I was close to my parents.   It is so painful to have that major change in your life after all you have been through.

Please look into support groups in your area.  I know it's hard to find the time to go to those meetings when you have so much on your plate.  You can even go to local grief groups.   You don't have to physically lose a loved one to go to a grief group during your caregiving.  You are grieving over your dear mother's decline of health.

Be good to yourself and try real hard to find some quiet time to take care of your heart and soul.

My thoughts are with you on this journey.   You are not alone!

Valued Contributor

@angel8  Happy Birthday!!!

You are such a good daughter.  Think of what your mom wants for you on your birthday.  She wants you to be happy and celebrate.  Enjoy the time you still have with her.  And do something special for yourself since you are such a good person.  Maybe some pampering?  I'm going to share my favorite poem with you.

DESIDERATA

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata"
Honored Contributor

Happy birthday, at least you still have your mom,go see her take her some flowers, for giving birth to you.Today is my hubands birthday, he died in 2013, he would had been 66 today.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

@angel8.......Here I'm singing you 3 rip roaring chorus of HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!  to lift your spirits a bit!

tho it's also a gift to you that you can't hear it because it would probably crack your windows & scare every bird for miles of your house!  ☺️

🎂🌻. 

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Birthdays are a chore or a blessing @angel8.  May yours be a blessing!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday Angel8!

I'm sorry that you have to deal with the decline of your mother. I'm sure it hurts more at this time as she is the one that gave life to you, and you are in the process of watching hers wane. 

Perhaps it may help if you can find peace and contentment in knowing that you still have her to be with during this birthday, and in the future may not. Do something to honor her on your special day. 

I have started to give my mother flowers on my birthday, since it is a special day for her as well as me. And it is my way of saying thanks for not only having me, but for all she has done for me all my life.

I find that when I am feeling blue, or lacking, just doing for someone else helps me. 

Respected Contributor

Wishing you a HAPPY birthday!!!!

As my late mother used to say "it sure beats the alternative."  It DOES!!

Hyacinth     :heart: