Esteemed Contributor

Re: Winter Storm Scott Hitting the NY Area

What a winter.  I live an hour from the largest ski resort in AZ and drove up to watch the snowboarders today.  So much snow this year!,

Esteemed Contributor

they close the schools in nyc if snow at commute time, so kids dont wait for the bus while it's snowing

Honored Contributor

Doppler Radar shows it's been raining here for hours in my area in the Northeast, but we have over 5 inches of snow on the ground and I see snowflakes coming down.

I had to check several times to make sure I wasn't just wishing it was snow. HA!

This happened several times before when it reported it was snowing and we had no snow at all.  Same with rain.  

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox,

City schools are closed??  I'm in the Westchester school district and as of now the school I'm temping at is on a 2 hour delay.  If the city is closed, then we have to be too!

I've got some things I want to get done around here that I did not get to today - hoping I would be home tomorrow to take care of them.

And I'll be able to catch up on my taped shows!  Yeah!

Be safe everyone dealing with bad weather!

Trusted Contributor

I was raised and lived in the NE my adult life and now live in hurricane alley.  I laugh when I hear of named snowstorms. Are there multiple ones at the same time or are numerous people killed by force of the storm, the snow flooding their homes, tearing off the roof,etc.?

Hurricanes are named because during hurricane season (May-Dec), many tropical storms and hurricanes come off the coast of Africa simultaneously headed towards the west. Meteorologists differentiate between each hurricane by name, and define the strength andcharacteristics of each storm and also the likely destination of the named storm.

Call me silly, but I think naming snowstorms is just ridiculous.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had snow here in PA for the past 3 out of 4 days. Today is the worst. Our roads a mess and I haven't seen or heard a plow, even down on the main road I can see way down from our window. And my husband has to get up at 4 AM and go to work. He shoveled some of it before bed but it was snowing bad then yet. So he will have to shovel more in the early morning. I hope and pray they plow till then. The other day the snow wasnt this deep, and he drove doing 25 MPH because they didn't plow. He wasn't thrilled. We are so ready for Spring! lol. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I am in Nova Scotia.  We are on day two of storms here.  Lots of snow yesterday.  Today snow, freezing rain and then rain.  February has been very cold but not much snow.  March seems to be making up for that.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@I am still oxox   I have to laugh.  The CBS affiliate where we live in CT also names storms.  They are calling this one Winter Storm Wayne.  I have no idea where they get the names but they have one for every storm!

@judy0330, Nice to meet you, neighbor.  We live in northern CT, two retirees in the original family home.  Our two children also live in CT.  All I can say is that our two GC (boy age 11, girl age 6),are very happy and grateful to Storm Wayne.  No school today, and finally the type of snow they can go sledding in.  Will be calling my DIL during the day to follow their activities.  This has been quite a winter, hasn’t it?  Snow is one thing; brutal cold is another.  Stay warm and safe.  Pam

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Since when are Winter storms being named, aside from that NYC schools are closed tomorrow so this is a big deal. I am glad my hubby will be able to work at home

@I am still oxox   Stay safe and warm. NC had a snow symbol on the map for tomorrow (Tues.), but think we dodged the bullet. ❄️

Esteemed Contributor

We live in NJ and work in NYC glad we are both my DH and I are working at home. OMG! Who ever is in the eye of the storms be safe. Prayers sent to those who have been affected.