Valued Contributor

Re: Winter - Love or Not So Much?

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@tarsmom  Both my son & DIL are only children too. The 6 of us, including the in laws are  very close.  If my son & daughter-in-law ever moved, unlikely, they already said they would love for us to move too.

We immediately said that we would. We wouldn't live on top of the kids but within a reasonable distance. I wouldn't let others weigh in so much because they don't know your relationship with your son & or the dynamics of your family.

Life is short.No one knows how much time they have left. If my son & DIL want their parents around I'm not going to say no.I know people who aren't close to their kids & rarely see them. That may work for them .But it doesn't work for us.

I think it's wonderful that you're close to your son and daughter in law.  I'm very close to my parents.  I bought the house next door so now we're neighbors.  It works for us.  I even invited my brother to live with me so he can save up for his own home.  Being together during this pandemic has made everything so much easier to deal with.  Spend your life with the people you love while you can.

Honored Contributor

Not So Much. But, I love the change of seasons and will never give that up. Being retired I don't have to go out when the weather is really bad.

Esteemed Contributor

Not so Much!  I realize there are pros and cons to weather wherever you live but I've lived all my live in the midwest (Indiana) and I'd move to Florida in a heartbeat if I could.  

When I was younger I loved the cold weather and snow.  I wouldn't wear a winter coat unless it dropped to 25 or below.  Now I freeze when the temp is 40 even if I'm sitting in my recliner with a heavy throw.  I also detest driving in snow and ice but fortunately I only have about 7 miles to my workplace.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I live in a four-season weather area and I like 3 of those seasons. My daughter said it best. She did a 360 on black ice on the highway this weekend. Relieved she was able to recover and get on her way but she said winter isn't as much fun as an adult. I agree. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I was born and raised in Iowa - DH in northern Ohio.....we both separately ended up in Missouri 40 years ago, and it's a 2nd marriage for both of us. I do not like the gray winter days and impatiently wait for spring, but when the humidity starts creeping up in the summer then I am ready for the cool days of fall with the beautiful colors of changing leaves. Yes, it's cold in the winter and we no longer get out much, but I also love putting on cozy warm clothes and watching a pretty snowfall. We live in a town home, so we don't worry about cleaning driveways and sidewalks, or mowing lawns.

We're beyond the age of moving to the Sunbelt, and DH has too many health issues to even think about it. Yes, I'm sure there are good doctors in the specialties that he needs elsewhere, but why put ourselves through that? We can get through 3 months of winter weather, especially since it's a bit milder where we are, and I'll start counting down the number of days until spring!

Esteemed Contributor

I like winter because snow is pretty & freezing kills off bugs so they are not TX FL HI AZ etc sized (My apologies to my QVC friends that love living in those states)

I live in Chicago suburbs.  Since I always work at home I don't mind winter.

I'm happiest Summer and Spring & fall in that order.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

I think it's wonderful that you're close to your son and daughter in law.  I'm very close to my parents.  I bought the house next door so now we're neighbors.  It works for us.  I even invited my brother to live with me so he can save up for his own home.  Being together during this pandemic has made everything so much easier to deal with.  Spend your life with the people you love while you can.

@liliblu  Your family values are admirable and your post is very touching.

@ECBG  You live in what I always describe as my ideal setting! NC is a wonderful state, I have fond memories of many summer vacations there! 

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg 

Come join me for lunch in Biltmore Village anytime!😉

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mellyg 

Come join me for lunch in Biltmore Village anytime!😉

I just may one of these days, lol!

We have friends that are selling their home in Asheville. I keep telling DH "it's move-in ready; we can do this very easily!" 

Valued Contributor

@jeanlake 

That's the kind of thing I don't want to happen.  Especially with getting older.  Is snow pretty?  Of course.  But I'm not 15 anymore - sliding, skating, snowmobiling, etc.  

No wonder Florida is full of seniors!  LOL