Valued Contributor

Re: Winter - Love or Not So Much?

@hckynut wrote:

@tarsmom 

I live in Nebraska and grew up on ice skates. Hockey and skating were/are a big part of my life. Winter I can add layers of clothes to keep warm. In warm/hot weather climate one can only go nude and still be hot.

No desire to move north or south and I retired in 1991. Happy planted right where I am at the present. Winter driving? Takes longer to get from place to place, but I don't find it to be that difficult to navigate.

I am the as clumsy as 1 guy can be, and it has never had anything to do with my age. Fallen? Of course and broken bones and tons of bruises most of my life, moreso adult life.

Went ice skating today and my record since the virus shut down and returning go my skates?  Skated at least 10-12 times now, and have remained perpendicular to the ice every time, fingers crossed, but what's a few more bruises to an old man? Got over 15 years on you with age, but those are only numbers.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

hckynut 

@hckynut 

Wow - that is great!  As a kid, I lived by a city park and ice skated like crazy - every single day/night I could.  Plus sledding a lot.  You are a winter person for sure!  My parents were born/raised in the UP of MI and my mom loved winter. My dad, not so much but they compromised by taking trips south in the winter (my dad would have moved but my mom, no way).  Glad you are still skating!  My DH and I ride a motorcycle so you can guess we only get to do that 5 or maybe 6 months.  I don't like to be HOT either but I'm anxious to be where there's more sunshine.  I am outside every day when it's nice.  

Valued Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I love New York.Born & raised in Brooklyn .Now live on Long Island. I can't take the winters anymore.DH & I are tired of the cold & the snow.We love the other 3 seasons.

We always thought we would retire to Florida.We have a son who we are extremely close to . DH works from home so he can work from anywhere.The problem is we don't want to leave our son. He just got married & passed the bar exam. We don't want to miss our time with him & our DIL.
  We may buy a condo in Florida & spend 4-6 weeks there but we can't bring ourselves to move.So unless our son moves to Florida,which is doubtful, it looks like we're here to stay.

@NicksmomESQ  I totally get that.  My son has been out of state for his job for 15 years now and he's our only.  So - once our parents passed away I'm like "let's get out of here!"  But....on a thread I put out therer a while back, I had many opinions on moving to where he is.  He and his fiancee work from home and if they had the right opportunity, who know if they'd pick up and move?  So we'd like to be closer, but not necessarily in the same town.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

marylander here and we have four seasons. not too much snow the past couple of years though. winter is my second favorite season, with autumn being my favorite. i just LOVE cooler weather! i do like living in a four season area though. i know i could not live in a hot, humid climate all year long.

if i was forced to move permanently, i would probably choose cooler weather over warmer weather.

@tarsmomsounds like you might be a good candidate to be a "snowbird."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@tarsmom  Both my son & DIL are only children too. The 6 of us, including the in laws are  very close.  If my son & daughter-in-law ever moved, unlikely, they already said they would love for us to move too.

We immediately said that we would. We wouldn't live on top of the kids but within a reasonable distance. I wouldn't let others weigh in so much because they don't know your relationship with your son & or the dynamics of your family.

Life is short.No one knows how much time they have left. If my son & DIL want their parents around I'm not going to say no.I know people who aren't close to their kids & rarely see them. That may work for them .But it doesn't work for us.

Contributor

@lsj  Florida is not just one season.  You mentioned the Jacksonville area, which is where I live.  It actually gets chilly at night in December, January and February....but no snow or ice.  This morning it was in the mid 40's and then 60 ish by afternoon.  Great medical care..Mayo, UNF, Baptist.  Lots of outdoor activities, close to the beaches, museums, concerts, and tons of interesting history.  I've been here 10 years now...a refugee from the NE...and haven't had a single regret. 

Trusted Contributor

Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. I love it here and would never live anywhere else! We have four beautiful seasons throughout the year. Winters here vary between not so bad and bad.  We don't always get snow but some years we get hit big time. Contrary to what people believe it really doesn't rain here all the time. Our rainfall has diminished quite a bit over the past decade and we are usually now under normal rainfall measure. We have great access to beaches, mountains, hiking trails, etc.  People are friendly and helpful. Could not imagine living anywhere else. 

Trusted Contributor

I was born and raised on Long Island.  I still live here and so do most of my family members.  I do have two brothers who moved away to warmer climates though.

Part of me would love to leave here.  It's not necessarily the weather, but it's the congestion and the cost of living.  Everything is just so expensive.

In terms of the weather --- I am not a fan of our winters although they have been relatively mild compared to previous years.  I would miss the fall though.  It's my favorite season and a beautiful time of year on Long Island.  I like having four distinct seasons, so I guess it would be hard for me to leave and go to a place where it's warm all year long.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Born in NH grew up as a child in Northern Vermont, near lake Champlain later back in NH.   Ice skates, skis, snowmobiles loved it.  Live in VA now.  Its ok.  Still kinda get 4 seasons, sorta.  But my daughter, her husband and grands are down the road so I love it.  My son is in the Navy so it doesn't matter where I go.  If husband had his way he would be on a tropical beach.  While I love the beach (many many summers growing up spent on Maine's beaches) I need 4 seasons. With skin cancer in my family tree I have never been a sun worshiper.   I don't mind the driving (my Jeep loves snow) and I still love the cold.  My dog Ozzy before he passed in 2019 LOVED the snow.  He had some Chow in him (ok his DNA test said he was definitely a Heinz 57 mutt) Literally lived for that first snow fall.  Loved watching him run around when we would get a good snowfall.  We had him for 20 years (he was at least 1 year when we got him).  Hoping for a good snowfall this year in his memory.  We didn't get squat last year.  

Honored Contributor

I have found that personally winter is more challenging the older I get.  I agree that winter can be very beautiful and sometimes it's nice to just look outside and see a beautiful snowy landscape and be snuggled all warm and secure in the house!  However, the bitter cold, the high heating bills, the worry of bad roads, and the constant stress of clearing the sidewalks, driveway, worry of falling, etc. is a big concern when you are getting up there!  DH and I have said if we could afford it, we would have gotten a small condo or something in FLA so we could spend most of the winter there, but that is not in the budget!  Maybe we will hit the lottery --- LOL!  Not seeing the sun much at all really is depressing, I can tell you that! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@tarsmom   I'm not retired yet, but will be in about 5 years (God willing).  I live in Ohio and the weather forecast for the next 8 days is gray.  In the summer it is humid.  We have about a month of what I would call "perfect" weather through out the year.  I don't mind the cold and snow, but I have to have sunshine.  The grayness is too depressing. 

I haven't decided on yet on where I will live, but I have eliminated the southern east coast - too rainy and humid for me.  I do like the southwest.  I plan on spending more time in New Mexico and northern Arizona in the next few years to see if I could lve there full time.

I suggest you try out several places before you make a decision.  Also, both you and your DH should consider if you would want to live there alone if something should happend to the other.  Good Luck.  It is a big decision.