Valued Contributor

Winter - Love or Not So Much?

I am a Michigander - 65 years.  Now retired.  Not sure we want to continue living here  year round.  Here's my list or pros/cons:

Pros

1.  We do have beautiful summers (at least last one was great!) 

2.  I do have some friends here (no immediate family - they're passed away).

3.  It's good to be familiar with where you're driving (how hard is it to learn a new town?)

4.  People are pretty nice here 

5.  (this is kind of big)  Husband has some health issues and likes his doctors (but don't other states have good doctors?)  

Cons

1.  While winter is pretty, I don't want to fall (my BFF already fell on the ice this week).  I'm clumsy anyway .  Thankfully, no more long commutes so on bad days we don't have to go out, but winter driving is still a big drag.

2.  I don't like the long cloudy days that Michigan has.  Months on end.

3.  Me/DH are retired and who wants to sit around in the winter?

4.  No we don't have kids or grandkids (yet) here.  Only son lives in NC.

5.  Dry skin - ugh!  I've never ever had dry skin and the past few years the winters are more and more drying to our skin (body, not face).

So - if you live north, do you want to move south?  Or do you just go south for a month or so to get away?  Or, maybe you love winter and clouds don't bother you in the least (and you would never move because of your kids/grandkids).

I'd love your feedback.  I have posted before about this in a different way (asking what state you'd move) so please let's stick to commenting on this post Smiley Happy

Thank you all!

Regular Contributor

Re: Winter - Love or Not So Much?

Born and raised in PA.  Have lived in Florida for 30 years.  Love the beauty and warmth of this state. Will never live in the north again. Snow and cold are four letter words.

Valued Contributor

@Drlinda wrote:

Born and raised in PA.  Have lived in Florida for 30 years.  Love the beauty and warmth of this state. Will never live in the north again. Snow and cold are four letter words.

@Drlinda 

Thank you - we are considering Jacksonville area.  Good health care.  We'll see - but if I were alone, I'd already be in FL!

Honored Contributor

I am happy with my four seasons, Autumn being my favorite.  I could never live in a state where it is warm all the time, air conditioning or not.  There are states I would never consider moving to despite them being warm or less expensive.  Just my humble opinion.

Honored Contributor

Not much. I grew up in the south. It can snow Christmas Eve and then go away as far as I'm concerned!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I like four seasons. I need the changing weather. I've lived in Fla. and warm all year around doesn't do it for me.

Honored Contributor

I’m in SoCA. If I had my way I would move North. There isn’t enough money in the world for me to live in a typical sunny hotter or humid retirement area like Arizona or Florida.😆 I like cool, cold, rain and some snow. I’m unhappy when the temperature goes above 70. I’m someone who is clueless understanding the attraction of hot climates. 😓
Super Contributor

I agree with you ljs and tarsmon. We currently live coastally in the PNW and its either raining or torentially raining. I need sun and heat. Florida looks really good but I hestate at humidity.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom 

I live in Nebraska and grew up on ice skates. Hockey and skating were/are a big part of my life. Winter I can add layers of clothes to keep warm. In warm/hot weather climate one can only go nude and still be hot.

No desire to move north or south and I retired in 1991. Happy planted right where I am at the present. Winter driving? Takes longer to get from place to place, but I don't find it to be that difficult to navigate.

I am as clumsy as 1 guy can be, and it has never had anything to do with my age. Fallen? Of course and broken bones and tons of bruises most of my life, moreso adult life.

Went ice skating today and my record since the virus shut down and returning on my skates?  Skated at least 10-12 times now, and have remained perpendicular to the ice every time. Fingers crossed, but what's a few more bruises to an old man? Got over 15 years on you with age, but those are only numbers.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I love New York.Born & raised in Brooklyn .Now live on Long Island. I can't take the winters anymore.DH & I are tired of the cold & the snow.We love the other 3 seasons.

We always thought we would retire to Florida.We have a son who we are extremely close to . DH works from home so he can work from anywhere.The problem is we don't want to leave our son. He just got married & passed the bar exam. We don't want to miss our time with him & our DIL.
  We may buy a condo in Florida & spend 4-6 weeks there but we can't bring ourselves to move.So unless our son moves to Florida,which is doubtful, it looks like we're here to stay.