Honored Contributor

When I was a wee little thing, my two prized possessions were my Barbie doll and my huge gray battleship that shot torpedoes off the sides (lol).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

birdmama wrote:

When I was a wee little thing, my two prized possessions were my Barbie doll and my huge gray battleship that shot torpedoes off the sides (lol).

Well, there ya go!  Smiley Happy  You were a very well-rounded little girl.  

I do like that society is getting more away from having such strict definitions that must be followed by one gender or another.

I never liked dolls but then I think that was more about what dolls represented to me - humans - and during those years of my life all I knew from humans were that they would inevitably, at some point, hurt you (me) in some way or another.     

I sure did love my stuffed animals, though!   They were so dear to me.  I had to try and hide how much I loved them because she would make anything I loved disappear.   I'm moderately embarrassed to say that, even at this advanced time in my life, I still have some stuffed animals.  Smiley Happy  They are so sweet and perfect to me.

Trusted Contributor

I remember that book and because of it I bought the Fisher Price boy doll back in the late 70s or early 80s.  Neither of my sons paid much attention to him but I set him out with favorite stuffed animals in case they wanted to.  

I thought he was very cute and looked an awful lot like my youngest with the straight bowl cut and round brown eyes and even the scattering if a few freckles.  My son's hair was still blonde back then but everything else was a pretty good match.  LOL!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

I heard about this book on an "All In the Family" rerun.  Gloria mentioned it, because she gave little Joey a doll.  Archie was appalled, of course.  Gloria was a modern Mommy.

a bit off topic but does anyone remember that they actually made a JOEY doll? .......anatomically correct......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYTUjRNjH4

Cute commercial.  The "Mother" looked sooo familiar.  Thank you for the link, Sunshine.  Wish I had this doll !!!

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

Well, there ya go!  Smiley Happy  You were a very well-rounded little girl.  

I do like that society is getting more away from having such strict definitions that must be followed by one gender or another.

I never liked dolls but then I think that was more about what dolls represented to me - humans - and during those years of my life all I knew from humans were that they would inevitably, at some point, hurt you (me) in some way or another.     

I sure did love my stuffed animals, though!   They were so dear to me.  I had to try and hide how much I loved them because she would make anything I loved disappear.   I'm moderately embarrassed to say that, even at this advanced time in my life, I still have some stuffed animals.  Smiley Happy  They are so sweet and perfect to me.

I have one of the original Higbee's Christmas Bears.  I bought him the year my college fiance cheated on me.  Geoff (at 29 years old!) has been there for me through so many things...poor thing is so ratty and busted looking, but I sleep with him every night.

The DH can't say anything about that since he has Maynard the Rabbit. Smiley Very Happy 

I think a lot of adults still have cherished stuff animals that they "use"...many are just too embarrassed to admin it.

Respected Contributor

What about G.I. Joe? He is a doll and lots of boys played with him.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Trusted Contributor

@MrsSweetieBear wrote:

I remember that book and because of it I bought the Fisher Price boy doll back in the late 70s or early 80s.  Neither of my sons paid much attention to him but I set him out with favorite stuffed animals in case they wanted to.  

I thought he was very cute and looked an awful lot like my youngest with the straight bowl cut and round brown eyes and even the scattering if a few freckles.  My son's hair was still blonde back then but everything else was a pretty good match.  LOL!

That was my brother's Joey doll!  He dragged that doll everywhere until he hit kindergarten.  That's when he was told by classmates that boys are suppose to have dolls...  Peer pressure at the age of 5!

Joey stayed around for several years after until my mom finally donated him to Goodwill.

Respected Contributor

They called G.I. Joe an "Action Figure."  But, yes, he was a doll.

Honored Contributor

KZJ - Aww, I love your story.  That is so sweet and who says you have to EVER stop loving them, no matter how old they get.  Nobody, sez me!  Smiley Happy

I don't actually have any of the ones from my childhood, as she made them all disappear.  She loved to be cruel (the so-called mother).  But I have some from my young adulthood and beyond.  Oh well - nobody gets hurt, so it's ok.  If I was really all that embarrassed I wouldn't even mention it, to tell the truth.   

Animals, stuffed or otherwise, are precious to me.  They are perfect and special in so many ways.  Humans (as a species) - not so much.

Trusted Contributor

Yep KZJ, that's right, Fisher Price (and most doll manufacturers) named their dolls.  I never agreed with them.  Kids should be able to name their own dolls, IMO!  My son didn't get attached to him to name him though so at least he already came with a ready-made name.  My son had a stuffed dog he loved that he named "Doggy Buff".  When we got a real dog 3 years later, he named her "Buffie" after his Doggy Buff/

Anyway I'm glad you remember "Joey" and the cute memory of your brother.  I knew someone would recognzie this cute boy doll of the 70s/80s.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~