Respected Contributor

Re: Will you continue to purchase?

A lot of people won't buy anything from Dennis Basso because he works with real fur.

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well as to ignorance - I suspect there is a lot of that - because just how do you know what a designer/spokesperson/et.al actually thinks of you as a customer?

@Isobel Archer

Personally I don't care what they think of me as a customer or otherwise.   Further, I don't think that is the point of this discussio:n.

Sorry, I was responding to this: - it seems that it is important to some how they are regarded as a customer.

@MaggieMack wrote:

If the public figure who is hawking something says something that is out of bounds to my very flexible sensibilities, I will not support them with my money. When they have proven to me that they have no respect for me, I lose all respect for them. It might be clothes, or movies, or music, or a grocery item, I refuse to support thoughtlessness and mean.

@MaggieMack

I totally agree with you and add 'ignorance' to my list.

Ignorance - not lack of education, not lack of knowledge, not lack of understanding, or opportunity - Ignorance.  You know it when you see it.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

"...can you separate the behavior from their merchandise?"

Of course.

I think any mature, stable adult would be able to that. 

@sidsmom

Yes, of course I can. I don't choose to.

With so many good choices in merchandise, I chose not to support someone whose behavior I find aberrant.

Personal choice is just that, personal.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

If you are intent upon only buying from those of whose behavior you approve, are you prepared then to research every company/spokesperson/employee who had anything to do with (and thus profits) from ALL the products you buy?

I didn't think so.

That's not what is being said here.

OK so then what does this quote from the OP mean?

But no matter how much I may like what a celebrity is selling the bad behavior has a powerful influence on my buying decision. Ultimately I will spend my money elsewhere.

If that has nothing to do with not buying something from those whose behavior causes your disapproval - then what does it mean?

You wrote, "those of whose behavior you approve". This isn't the same as bad behavior. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

If you are intent upon only buying from those of whose behavior you approve, are you prepared then to research every company/spokesperson/employee who had anything to do with (and thus profits) from ALL the products you buy?

I didn't think so.

That's not what is being said here.

OK so then what does this quote from the OP mean?

But no matter how much I may like what a celebrity is selling the bad behavior has a powerful influence on my buying decision. Ultimately I will spend my money elsewhere.

If that has nothing to do with not buying something from those whose behavior causes your disapproval - then what does it mean?

You wrote, "those of whose behavior you approve". This isn't the same as bad behavior. 

I'm not sure I get the distinction.  But my point is the same.  Even if you are only concerned about behavior so egregious that you feel you must disapprove of it - does that only extend then to what is reported in the media? 

Regular Contributor

@sidsmom Not supporting someone who's violated your principles (and whose merchandise you could easily replace  - it's not like we're talking about not drinking water to protest the Flint situation) is unstable and immature? It's called idealism, a trait that many people actually find admirable.

Honored Contributor

I buy the item if I like it or need it. I don't buy many celebrity brands anyways. Some of them  endorse products, not just their brands.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I'm not sure I get the distinction.  But my point is the same.  Even if you are only concerned about behavior so egregious that you feel you must disapprove of it - does that only extend then to what is reported in the media? 

How does one buy merchandise solely based on behavior one approves of? Unless we are informed of the contrary beforehand don't we already assume that others are behaving well to start with? 

We can only react to what we know right?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Mel Gibson is a great example. I haven't seen a film of his in 6 years.

I cannot remember the last time I've seen a movie starring him advertised.

Honored Contributor

With Lisa Rinna...Now NO for me.  I used to say I'd still buy, but I'm so done with her.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"