Respected Contributor

Re: Will you continue to purchase?

Obviously we can't research every designer. But she is a public person and her comments were made public so we can make a decision from there.
Honored Contributor

I've never bought a celebrity branded clothing item on QVC. In fact I'm not sure I've bought a celebrity branded anything. As far as the current controversy that sparked this thread, I absolutely wouldn't be buying anything from that person. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

If the public figure who is hawking something says something that is out of bounds to my very flexible sensibilities, I will not support them with my money. When they have proven to me that they have no respect for me, I lose all respect for them. It might be clothes, or movies, or music, or a grocery item, I refuse to support thoughtlessness and mean.

@MaggieMack

I totally agree with you and add 'ignorance' to my list.

Ignorance - not lack of education, not lack of knowledge, not lack of understanding, or opportunity - Ignorance.  You know it when you see it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"...can you separate the behavior from their merchandise?"

Of course.

I think any mature, stable adult would be able to do that.

Respected Contributor

Well as to ignorance - I suspect there is a lot of that - because just how do you know what a designer/spokesperson/et.al actually thinks of you as a customer?

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer No but the media does a lot of this work for you.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

If you are intent upon only buying from those of whose behavior you approve, are you prepared then to research every company/spokesperson/employee who had anything to do with (and thus profits) from ALL the products you buy?

I didn't think so.

That's not what is being said here.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I've only purchased one celebrity line (beauty/skincare) from QVC.  It was several years ago.  It's no longer in inventory, and I haven't seen that celebrity in headlines or TV shows in a long time.

I pass on buying the celebrity endorsement products, but I have been known to tune in and watch from time to time when certain celebrities are on just to see what they look like today or what they have to say.  I've also been known to avoid any shopping channel programming related to certain celebrities and reality show personalities.  If I don't like those people enough to watch their TV shows, I see no reason to tune in or buy whatever they're selling on TV.  

Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

If you are intent upon only buying from those of whose behavior you approve, are you prepared then to research every company/spokesperson/employee who had anything to do with (and thus profits) from ALL the products you buy?

I didn't think so.

That's not what is being said here.

OK so then what does this quote from the OP mean?

But no matter how much I may like what a celebrity is selling the bad behavior has a powerful influence on my buying decision. Ultimately I will spend my money elsewhere.

If that has nothing to do with not buying something from those whose behavior causes your disapproval - then what does it mean?

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well as to ignorance - I suspect there is a lot of that - because just how do you know what a designer/spokesperson/et.al actually thinks of you as a customer?

@Isobel Archer

Personally I don't care what they think of me as a customer or otherwise.   Further, I don't think that is the point of this discussion.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras