Honored Contributor

Re: Will you be doing your holiday decorating different this year?

@qualitygal wrote:

I get in this mood, only to end up remembering how much of a task this is.  Maybe I'll stretch it out over 7 days.  I may try it this year.

How are you changing your decorating this year?  Any crafters out there...what are you doing this year?

@qualitygal   We started having a "Hanukkah Tree" 20 yrs. ago when our daughter married our Catholic SIL. When they came for T'giving or Christmas he appreciated some holiday spirit, the lights...even though all the ornaments on the tree are Hanukkah/Jewish related. When our son married my Catholic DIL, she was also impressed by the efforts and she became pregnant, I had no idea if the children would be raised Jewish or not. 

The tree has stayed in the living room each year. The kids and grandkids have added ornaments w/ photos of their dogs, their photos, I've added tiny portraits of the Girls as they've grown, new puppy ornaments added and Sadie will get a rainbow bridge ornament this year (😢), and things they made in Sunday School. Now it's such a PIA to set up and decorate, that it's up by Halloween and doesn't come down until end of Jan. I enjoy looking at how it's "grown" through the years and still hate to see it taken down. 

Esteemed Contributor

DD and family come for Thanksgiving weekend and Friday they bring my "stuff" in and put up the 7 1/2 ft tree in family room.  Grand daughter decorates a table top tree with special Lenox & Waterford ornament collected over the years in the living room window,  I have a flocked Hallmark 5' tree in my bedroom that I play with and may change the theme.  I call it my designer tree.  

I have gotten rid of the gingerbready and ceramic things I used to put on every available flat surface for a few statement pieces.  Wreath over the fireplace with garland on the mantle and wreath on front door.   Oh and I do put Valeries glisting pine small tree in bay window over the sink in the kitchen. Arrangements on dining room table and coffee table in living room. Sounds like a lot but it's not cluttered anymore and spread out.  It's all for me to enjoy as I go to DD for Christmas but I love it.  Stays up until I take it down in stages the week after new years.  

Honored Contributor

I decorate for Christmas the week after Thanksgiving or else I don't bother because it's just too much work. I like a country Christmas theme and decorate in red and gold. I don't put up a big tree anymore, just a small, slim frosted tree with those small lights.

Honored Contributor

No big changes planned, although with Thanksgiving so late, I may decorate a week earlier. Our Thanksgiving will be held November 17 so I can switch over to Christmas the next day.

Respected Contributor

We will be going away during Thanksgiving and again at Christmas.  In order to get together with family and friends this year we are having a Christmas party on the 14th.  That doesn't give me much time to decorate but I am sure we will at least have the tree up.

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely! We go all out every year, inside and out. We decorated for harvest/Thanksgiving starting last month. Christmas decorating begins the day after Thanksgiving, as it does for many. We just add to our collections and even decorate fo spring/summer. QVC and Pier 1 get a lot of my business for holiday decorating.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

No change for me from what I did last year....which is very little. We don't entertain since we spend the 2 big days with family at their homes. DH can no longer help me, so I'm perfectly fine to having my ceramic lighted tree that I bought last year on the Q and a front door wreath. I've donated almost all of my Christmas stuff that I had for years. The older I get, the less I do. We're in a town house with very little storage, so minimal decorations work best for us.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We downsized to a 5 foot tree 2 years ago. Best thing we did. Our tree will be done up in silver and aqua decor to match our living room. And Ill put a few things out here and there but not as much as we used to. Also told DH cut back on lighting outside (which he decorates). I said just do around the door and window this year. Don't need lights in the trees and all over anymore. That is how I feel now, since 3 grandkids are now older.

This past week DH and I went through the "all holidays closet" and I pulled out things from all holidays that I want to offer to my children and grandchildren who are coming this week for my birthday, My back is shot and cant do what I used to. Plus I am sick of the nik nak type stuff. So yes ( like others said) we are downsizing too. If I didnt have this stupid bad back thats getting worse Id do more "inside" like I used to! .I actually do feel bad downsizing things, because I used to be Mrs Christmas (believe me lol).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention that the granddaughters are being raised Jewish. They enjoy the tree each year adding things they've made and "bedazzled". When DS and DIL were married by the rabbi, they had much counseling beforehand. He advised that she wasn't going to convert, but learn everything necessary to bring children into into a Jewish home, her religion needed to be secondary....tiny tree on a shelf, an Easter bunny/basket placed on mantel, but not a bigger deal made with the Girls.

So, decor at their house has definitely changed more than at mine. 

Honored Contributor

A little off subject, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Shorty2U !!!!   🎂